Coopers Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
With a Coopers Kit, is it necessary to add sugar or Malt Extract or Dextrose in the primary? I don't have access to Malt Extract or Dextrose now and I don't want to add table sugar, I have to wait to order some additives in since our Homebrew store is more suited to Wine not Beer.

Since I was recommended to do a secondary fermentation, do I just siphon the brew over to the carboy, or should I add something else to the mix once it is in the carboy?

Thanks guys.

If you want a stronger beer, then by all means add more malt extract to your wort. Of course, you can add dextrose or sugar, but it will just add alcohol and not much else. Or you can just add less water to your wort.

Secondary fermentation is usually to clear and age your beer. Nothing is added to the wort except maybe if you are doing dry hopping or finings.

I make alot of cooper kits and you have to add malt extract and corn sugar. Depending on the style but geneally I add about 3# of LME and about 1/2 to 1# of corn sugar. I find if I use all malt extract sometimes the fermentation doesnt go as well as I had hoped (my guess is the sugar helps the fementation process but these guys here would be better able to answer that). You can also just add just a KG of corn sugar or comparable ammount of table sugar and maybe make ok beer - but it would be a much better result if you used the malt extract.

Whats flavor kit do you have?

I am using Canadian Blonde, as my choices were that or Draught.

So I added 1KG of Corn Sugar since I found it at a health food store here, don't ask why they had it, but there is no whee to get Malt Extract.

I will see how it turns out, as it is my first batch!

I have a coopers real ale in secondary at the moment. I used a 3.3lb can of coopers light malt extract with it, fermented out just fine. OG 1.052 FG 1.012 when transfered to secondary at a week.

It fermented extremely fast, under 48hrs had it down to 1.016. It's a little darker than I was expecting (very deep red/brown) due to the LME instead of dextrose, but it tastes damn good. Will be bottling this weekend at 3wks, then just have to give it time to carb.

Yes the real ale does turn out darker then it looks on the can but it has a dreat taste to it - I think you will really enjoy it - I have about 5 or 6 quarts in the basement. I find with the real ale if you have the patience to let it sit for 2 months or so in the bottle that is when it hits its best.

As for the Canadian Blonde with the 1kg of corn sugar I bet it will turn out fine. Just next time order in some DME or get your brew store to order some. You will see an improvement. Have fun with it though I have heard many people say they have produced a pretty decent tasting beer just using sugar. Let me know how it turns out.

Cheers

Okay it seems to be going fairly well, my OG was 1.042 and on day 4 it is at 1.011.

When do you guys take your first taste? Should I be checking it out now so I can learn the flavours during the brewing process?

I can't wait to brew my next batch, I am going to brew my next batch in a carboy instead of the white bucket because I want to watch the process as well. It sucks now with it hidden away in a bucket.

Jesterday said:
Okay it seems to be going fairly well, my OG was 1.042 and on day 4 it is at 1.011.

When do you guys take your first taste? Should I be checking it out now so I can learn the flavours during the brewing process?

I can't wait to brew my next batch, I am going to brew my next batch in a carboy instead of the white bucket because I want to watch the process as well. It sucks now with it hidden away in a bucket.

Wait, you're not tasting the beer everytime you take out for the hydrometer reading? You're not just throwing that out are you? :mug:

Jesterday said:

I taste my hydro readings BUT I don't make any conclusions about anything about my beers until 3 weeks minimum in the bottle....There's just too much going on in the brewing/carbing/conditioning process during that period to know if something's wrong, or it's green or whatever...

A good experiment, for any brewer to do, is to pull a beer out on the 7th day in the bottle and chill it for 2...then taste it...make notes on the tastes and the level of carb. Do it again on the 14th day, the 21st and the 28th...you'll really see the difference. Then leave a bottle stashed away for 6 months...chill that and taste it...and go back and read your notes... You'll learn a heck of a lot about beer doing that.

Yea I agree that is a great way to do it. Personally I find that beer reaches its peek after 3 months or so in the bottles - if you have the patience to let some sit that long it is well worth it. Usually though after 3-4 weeks in the bottle it is coming along nicely.

I usually have a little taste wehn i transfer from Primary to seconday and when i bottle - just because i take a sample to test the gravity. Always fun to give it a small taste test.

Jesterday said:

Make sure your carboy is large enough for a full batch or use a blowoff tube.

I taste from the moment the malts hit the kettle to the last drop of the last bottle.

Back