Best Spacing for the hopyard ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwoodforge

Reaction score
I just got my Rhizomes in, 2 each of Kent Goldings , Mt. Hood and Sterling. looks like our last hard frost (Below 28 ) will be this Friday night. So I'm looking to get them in the ground this weekend. My plan is to plant 2 rhizomes per 3' mound, mounds spaced about 6' apart. Is 6 ' enough to keep them separate or do I need to go further ? :mug:

Jens

Yeah six feet will definately do it. Each rhizome could grow to a huge plant, so there is no need to double them up. Your harvest will be minimal this year anyway.

I just finished building my hop growing area, and with one thing and another I think The space I have between different varieties might be like....4'6"? Just barely under 5', but no less than 4'6". Hopefully this won't cause tangled roots & other problems.

Pic in case ppl haven't already seen it:
hopgrowingareavd7.jpg

The two poles with mulch underneath it are going to grow the same variety of hops (Chinook), and the plants are in the ground right near where the poles go underground. Shame I didn't have more space to work with. Unless I want to dig out more area hmmmmmm.....

Two rows would be better for total yield, but I have two of the same hops in a mound and I trellis one or two bines from each plant.

I am planting mine today... 6 rhizomes, 2 of each (Mt Hood, Willamette and Cascade). I plan to have 2' between like varieties and 8' between unlike varieties. They are growing in my fridge, so they should really pop when they get into some soil.

I got all of mine in the ground Sunday, ended up planting 6 mounds , 2 of each kind with 6' buffer between. Picked up a pile of Straw & critter poo( Alpaca , Horse & Sheep ) for mulching them last night. Topped the mounds off with some 90,000 btu cayenne pepper to keep the dawgs, coons and deer away...

Wish me luck and pray for warm spring rains !

Prost !

Jens

Back