Can someone critique my extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green1181

Reaction score
Hey guys, I usually do all grain with recipes I find of here but I am now
living in a remote area of Western Australia where it is hard to get supplies/gear locally. I was thinking of just using DME and hops (which I can get cheaply online), and want an american ipa style beer. I am thinking:

3 kg Muntos Light DME (~7lbs)
30 g Cascade hops (60 min) (1 oz)
60 g Cascade hops (10 min) (2 oz)
60 g Cascade hops (0 min) (2 oz)
Safale US-04

Any feedback would be great! I want something drinkable with as little
extra ingredients as possible..thanks!!

That should work! If you can find some crystal, it would probably help, but I think you'll get something perfectly drinkable. I'd go with us-05 rather than s-04, for the nice clean hops forward ferment. And maybe dry hop it, too!

looks good. if you really want to bring it home id suggest a 2-4oz dry hop. maybe add a couple adjuncts to steep with (i.e. crystal malt, white wheat, etc.). sounds like itd be around 7%

Well, I followed the recipie and dry hopped with 4oz. I was really happy with it. It had a nice hop flavor but a little thin. I found a good deal on 50lb bags of dme, and was thinking of trying a different one..anyone have any comments on how the flavor would change with these types of dme? I would like an all extract since everything will have to be mailed to me so I can buy in bulk.

Pilsner DME(light malt)
Golden DME(pale malt)
wheat DME (pale +wheat)
sparkling DME (blend of crystal, pale, munich)
and Dark DME (base Malt,Caramel 60L Malt,Munich Malt,Black Malt)

I appreciate all the help trying to get this "Povo IPA" the way I want it :)

Back