Scottish Heavy Pike's Kilt Lifter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernip

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Scotish Ale (Wyeast 1728)
Yeast Starter
1000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Could maybe drop to .03 lbs to better match the original but I like it slightly more
I made this again a few weeks ago and think it is pretty spot on in taste. The peat is present but not over powering.

My final recipe was.
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Mash @ 150*

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.8 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.0 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.0 %
.04 lbs Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 4 0.3 %
0.60 oz Magnum [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.6 IBUs
0.30 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 2.5 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 1.2 IBUs
1000ml Starter of Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)

Discussion: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/pike-kilt-lifter-ruby-ale-138731/
Stfzm.jpg

I brewed this this weekend, my brother loves Pikes. I hope it tastes similar to the original, I'll post my opinion when its done.

Brew day was smooth. I bumped up the recipe to a 11 gallon batch, and ended the day with a 1.064 wort. I pitched a big starter and got crazy blow off with the 1728 yeast. It is also quite flocculant. Its only been 2 days and the krausen has dropped and the top of the beer is starting to clear up. I fermented with temp control @67 and started raising temps today to finish it out. Im looking forward to this one. :)

I took a keg out to Oregon country fair and people dug it. The peat was quite subtle. Not really my favorite style of beer, but my brother liked it and that's what mattered most. I didn't have a actual bottle of kilt lifter to compare it to so I cant really comment there. Thanks for the recipe!

First brew in 5 years! Despite a few hiccups, it turned out fine! A nice session beer! I was going for a smokier taste so I doubled the peated malt, but I still have a hardtime tasting it... Next time I'm smoking half of the pale malt.

P1030476.jpg

P1030479.jpg

Yeah, the peat isn't meant to stand out really strongly. Just enough to register and give it a slight peak taste to go with everything else.

I've thought of making an imperial version of this +30% grainbill and tossing in a peaty/smokey scotch like Ardbeg and some oak chips. Nothing close to any style but tasty none the less.

I brewed this recipe last night with some friends. I changed a few things just to add my own Skogarr flare. I used Edinburgh yeast, and a few other secrets...but I got a OG of 1.072, so I think this is going to turnout great. thanks for the recipe.

I can't remember if I got my recipe from here or not, but I'm half way through my attempt at this and it's great. I did a blind taste test with a couple buddies last weekend with the real thing. I was able to pick mine out, but they could not tell the difference between the two - not than any of us are great at that sort of thing, but this is certainly the closest clone I've made to date. The biggest difference for me was that the real thing was a touch crisper than mine, so next time I'll probably lower the mash temp a degree or two. The peat flavor is there, but subtle. Most people don't notice it until I ask them about it and they are looking for it.

6 gallons
Target OG: 64
Target IBU: 27
Assumed efficiency: 62% (I'm working on it...)

12 # (71.4%) 2-row
2# (11.9%) Crystal 55
2# (11.9%) Munich
0.75# (4.5%) Carapills
1oz peat smoked malt (if I remember, the actual amount was a touch higher than that, maybe 1.1-1.2oz?)

0.5oz US Magnum @ 45
0.5oz US Golding @ 15
0.5oz US Golding @ 10

1.5L starter of Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale)

Target Water Profile (built from RO): Ca = 53 ; Mg = 5 ; Na = 15 ; Sulfate = 51 ; Chloride = 74 ; Bicarb = 35

60 min Single Infusion mash at 155. Ended at 153.
Actual OG was low at 1.057.. FG was 1.010.

I'm really enjoying this one. Next time I'll probably mash at ~152, but I think I'll also add another ounce or two of either smoked peat malt or some other smoked malt just to give it a bit more character (this would not be a clone attempt, but just an attempt to brew something else I would enjoy). But anyway.. it's great as-is and I'll be sad when this one finally kicks.

cheers :mug:

Back