Anybody make Viking IPA from AHS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
The Viking IPA from Austin is at a very attractive price on the website. Has any body made it before?

Can S05 substituted for the Wyeast Greenbelt? Trying to ship liquid yeast to Charleston, SC is not going to happen in the summer.

Haven't used them, but S05 is an appropriate yeast for just about any IPA. The Greenbelt is listed as highly flocculant, so the S05 might dry it out a little more, but that is usually a good thing in an american IPA.

I should have the mini mash version tomorrow also. I have a pack of s05 coming with it, but i will probably be using the persica ale yeast that i harvested from my pale ale.

I, too, bought the Viking IPA from Ahb. All grain kit arrived Monday the 13th, didn't get around to brewing it yet... Will get to it this coming Sunday

Grain bill looks yummy!

I haven't, but I've made a fair number of both kits from AHS and IPAs with US-05. All of the above turned out well.

I bought the Viking Kit too but I don't think my yeast was viable. Ordered some more since it's cooling off into the 80's and 90's this week hopefully I get some going this time around.

Yep - I always pick up the yeast locally rather than having it shipped- my LHBS isn't that far away, and worth the drive to know that the yeast is fresh and undamaged.

I used American Ale 1272. I forgot to check it this morning - hopefully the yeasties will be vigorously eating away when I get home tonight.

Yep - I always pick up the yeast locally rather than having it shipped- my LHBS isn't that far away, and worth the drive to know that the yeast is fresh and undamaged.

I used American Ale 1272. I forgot to check it this morning - hopefully the yeasties will be vigorously eating away when I get home tonight.

So this recipe isn't based on the green belt yeast for the proper taste?

Greenbelt is the yeast that AHS recommends, but Greenbelt (I believe) is an AHS-only variety.

From what I had read, any American Ale yeast should be suitable - I went with 1272 because it's supposedly fruitier than 1056.

i just kegged this Viking IPA w/ greenbelt yeast....took a taste test before it was fully carbed. Wayyyy good! Wayyy hoppy! i hope it finishes out like I think it will:D

It's great!, much better than my first IPA (Twin Peaks Imperial IPA) which is just plain bitter and not hoppy enough (not a hoppy bitter).

I was a little concerned with this one, since it's using the same yeast (I recycled it). At first I was thinking it tasted similar, but then instead of a kick in the face it had a nice smooth profile, and great hoppy aftertaste.

It's my first glass, and not as clear as I expected it to be after adding gelatin, so either I got the pot a little too hot during mashing, or maybe it's still clarifying a bit since I pulled from the bottom of the keg. Great taste either way!

I'm a sucker so I also bought the imperial falconers flight IPA when it went on saletoo, but I think I'm going to do a coffee stout next, then the next IPA (2 IPA's a porter and an ale on tap). I'm a real IPA fan when done right, so my first one was a bit disappointing, although others liked it.

yes, the viking ipa ended up being really good! nice and hoppy like I wanted!

Next time I may copy it and switch from crystal 120 to 60....for a little less color. It was really dark, but then again thats not necessarily a bad thing

Back