Support your local homebrew shop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS's (there are a few) are all not close, not easily accessible, have at least 25% higher prices than online, have fraction of a selection, less knowledge, charge tax.

I support my OHBS's (there are a few). I prefer making a few clicks online and having a big 30 lbs package waiting for me when I get home. No need to go anywhere, look around, carry **** home.

I don't think these guys are "scammers" so much as just ignorant business owners. Some people just can't run a business effectively. Heaven forbid they invest and purchase a few dozen sealed tubs. And I'm sure they just have been doing the ziplock bag thing for so long that they don't want to switch systems. I see it a lot with small business owners where they have "their system" down, and no matter how bad it is, they are reluctant to make changes.

PJM, you have, quite likely, made the most profound observation, yet. In truth, there are many small business owners that know not a thing about small business. They know not a thing about customer service. They are only interested in growth and prosperity as a pipe dream... but not enough to do what it takes to make it a reality. The emailed response from the referenced store in another example.

I drive 50 minutes, one way, to the only supplier of substance (of which I am aware) in the entire western half of Michigan. I have found they have reasonable prices and incredibly helpful staff less the arrogance I have come across in other lesser stores. However, if they did not supply at least one of the three attributes I find important, distance, dollar value and friendly accommodating staff, I would gladly spend my money elsewhere... including by way of the internet. In short, it is a matter of value.

WingNut, you were kind to respond in the fashion that you did but I would not waste another minute nor one more bad feeling before I moved on to the next best possible choice.

Just my 2cents :mug:

I work for a small business so I understand and value supporting locally owned companies. However I also need to do the right thing for my wallet. My general rule is, if they can get the price in the same neighboorhood as the online retailor then I'll stay local but once you get to a 20% difference, I gotta go with my wallet.

Latest posts

Back