Life in general

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujieagle

Reaction score
Please allow me to rant. My in-laws have been in town and staying with us for going on 4 months now. Me and my wife both work and make decent money. Our house is nice and large enough to accomodate everyone. My in-laws are really nice and have helped us alot. With that out of the way, let the beotching begin. I live in MO and work in TX currently. I work four and have four off. I absolutely dread coming home on my days off. The in-laws don't help support in the way of food or utilities. They sit on the rumps all day until I have dinner ready and then it's like sooooowwwwiiiiiiiieeeee! You would think that the slop bucket was just thrown into the pig pen. I cook the meal and am usually the last one to make a plate. The mother in law has recently started help with the clean up. She has the most annoying laugh possible. We have a 2nd living room that they commander when they are her and that is fine. Problem is, he'll be in there and she'll be in the regular living room watching something like Matlock or In the Heat of the night. Tonight, the wife is the living room watching american idol or something, father in law in the other room watching WWE,{not a fan} and the mother in law is laying on my bed watching some stupid show she's seen a thousand times. I am realy at my wits end here. They say that they are leaving this monday which I hope they do. I don't even dare to drink around them for fear that I may snap and tell everyone what I really think. I look forward to my work week for some peace and quiet. I've tried to talk to the wife about it but of course every time I say anything no matter how sober and polite I am, I of course am jsut being an azz. She thinks I'm being selfish but I don't see it that way. We are a family of 4 and have been married for 20 years. Having the extra 2 people here is really taking it's toll financially and mentally on me. To make matters worse, we are in the process of selling our house and looking for one in TX. Of course the wife says we need 4 bedrooms and the 2nd living room in the new house for the in laws to come visit. WTF!!!!!!!!! Ain't like they are paying the mortgage. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. F$%^ it, I'm going to the garage and get a pint of my blue moon clone.:rockin:

I've lived with my international MIL twice now. The first time was for well over a year.

All I can say is THANK GOD for Malaysian Nat'l Healthcare and diabetes.

The one escape that I have when I'm home is my garage. kegerator with 4 beers on tap, cable TV and sound system with surround sound. Normally, I can hang out there as much as I want. But, when the inlaws are in town, the wife complains that I am being anti social and rude to her parents if I stay out there for longer than a smoke. It's really getting to me man. He doesn't say 2 words all day and she never shuts up. Usually just mindless ramblings about nothing and her really, really annoying laugh. I'm telling ya, she's nuttier than a squirrel turd.

You could walk around the house naked scratching yourself here-and-there. Something will give sooner or later.

If it were me I would eat lots of onions and beans and fart myself silly. I have elevated the farting of some seriously obnoxious gas to an art form.

Make the environment unpleasant so the want to leave. Better yet, constantly do some silent drivebys, leave and wait for the reaction.

Yes it is a bit childish but so is mooching.

Cabbage and eggs...

Anyway, yeah it's a tough spot. It's hard to imagine that they don't have at least the simple courtesy to let the owner of the house, and the guy who pays the TV bills the pleasure of watching one of his own TVs when he wants.

And really, at least "try" to cook something once in a while and do some clean up around the house if they are going to be home all day. My kids do more than these guys do it sounds like, and they go to school all day! (OF course I don't have a problem telling them when I want the TV or that the dishes are building up.)

Yeah, I was just gonna say, I hope you're off Tuesday. This way you can celebrate Monday night. Just don't go overboard with the giddiness. You don't want your wife to think you hate her parents. (even if you do right now). My out-laws are pretty good, but like that old Italian saying, "Fish and guests start to stink after three days."

why have they been with you for so long?

That was my question. Anyway, you want to stay in my house a few days, fine, I'll play the receptive host. After about a week, I'm just going to do my normal thing around the house and if you don't like it maybe you should have done a better job of evaluating your decision to come live with me.

I say make every day a brew day, you could "invite" them to help, knowing full well that they won't and tell the mrs. you did offer they're just not very social when it comes to your recreational activities. Put all your pent up frustration into some serious brew sessions, they could be your masterpiece. Hell, you could name a brew after your mother in law, Squirrel Turd Nut Brown Ale? Or just keep making trips during your brew times, come in for a few minutes say hi, and bolt back out for every hop addition (I'm thinking 100+ IBU needed). Start some wine, mead, yeast bank, everything you can think of.

4 months is a long time, when do they leave?

That sucks. My father comes to visit for two weeks every year on vacation and he buys loads of food and cleans while he is here.

If they stay past Monday then you really need to have a sit down with the wife and maybe even them about how it needs to be. It's not right that you seem to be the outsider in your own damn home...

Well, the bad news, the in laws are staying till wednesday due to the storms on the east coast. The good news, I'm leaving for work a day early and heading back to Dallas tomorrow morning. At least I enjoy work and it gets me the hell away from them. On a side note, I purposely didn't make dinner tonight. When the wife came home after working all day, she made dinner. And I got some nice mods done to the brew stand today. Life is good.:rockin:

I wanna know WHY they are staying with you?
Health issues? Lost their house due the economy?

Something's gotta change before they drive a wedge between you adn your wife, cuz its pretty clear things are strained and animosity is building to a 'point of no return'

Well, had a big blow out with the wife on Saturday. the inlaws finally left today. They are retired and usually come stay with us for a few months in the winter and then go to Florida for a month or 2 before coming back to us for a week and then they go home. This year they didn't have the cash to stay in florida so they opted to "move in" with us for a 4 months. I left for work in TX 2 days early after the blow out. The wife is pretty pi%^ed off at me but oh well. I told her that if they do it again next year, I am moving out while they stay at the house. She needs to decide which is more important. Thanks for the support guys. It's nice to be able to vent instead of killing people:)

Back