Q about Freezer Chest 4 Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckley28

Reaction score
I have a pretty general question about using a freezer chest for a fermentation chamber.
I've researched a lot of threads on this type of use and it seems like its a pretty good idea if your using it for multiple brews at the same time. My question is this:
If I were to purchase something along the lines of a 5.0-7.2 cu ft chest freezer and also purchsed a temperature regulator tool such as the Ranco or Johnson Controls piece of equipment are there any other modifications (other than removing any trays from the freezer) I would need ot do? Also, it puzzles me that a freezer can be controlled at a temperature to somewhere around 60-65 degrees (typically I like to brew Ales). A freezer by nature is designed to freeze, right? How can it work at that high of a temperature, w/ out basically being off the entire time? I really dont have that much issue w/ freezing conditions as I live in Nor-Cal (Sacramento area).
Can anyone enlighten me on this seemingly simple question?

This is the beauty of the chest freezer it will run untill it is as cold as the controler is set to and then run sparingly to hold it there
Easy on the electric bill and the compressor
win- win

Wow thats pricey!!!
If your at all handy, look into the aquarium temp thread here you could save a ton

Just bought the Ranco two-stage myself and should have it today. A bit of a pain having to switch my single stage control back and forth between heating and cooling. Moving the single stage to a dedicated freezer for bottled beer.

On another note, for a heater I mounted a ceramic light socket inside one of the empty paint cans you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes, drilled a hole through the side for the cord, put in a 100 watt bulb, put the lid on and now have a <$10 heater for my chest freezer.

I think thats what makes the temp controler in the link better because you can leave both your heater and freezer pluged in at all times and it will do its thing without intervention
I only wish it would read in farenhiet

Sort of thinking about an upright freezer now for ease of use. Question is wouldn't a refer be better than a freezer? Or would the freezer be able to cool off faster?

Back