Port Brewing Hop 15...flat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Was real excited to try this brew out tonight. Pulled it out of the fridge, popped the cap......nothing. No pfft, no psst...just the sound of my prying the cap off. Beer poured with no head, some tiny bubbles and the slightest bit of carbonation...I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle or if this is how it is supposed to be out of the bottle. I know I've had IPAs off of beer pumps before, maybe they were trying to recreate that? Maybe I'm way off base in thinking that?

Did a search over at Beer Advocate, and the first reviewers comment got me thinking; it was something along the lines of how 'it had been a while since I've had a carbonated Hop-15.'

I guess this is just somewhat of a rant, but I'm curious, has anyone else experienced something like this with Hop-15? Overall the flavor/aroma is great, I'm just quite disappointed in thinking that I'm not getting the most out of this beer, or maybe I was just expecting something different.

Lost Abbey (same owner/brewer as Port Brewing) has developed a nickname of Flat Abbey. They have been having continuous carbonation problems at both sites for some time now.

When he gets carbonation right though his beers are great.

I live in the same area as Lost Abbey/Pizza Port tempature from beach breezes are a problem.
Give the beer a shake to activate the yeast and store it like you would your homebrew for the same or more time.

They are reportedly using a hot room now to carbonate.

Lost Abbey (same owner/brewer as Port Brewing) has developed a nickname of Flat Abbey. They have been having continuous carbonation problems at both sites for some time now.

When he gets carbonation right though his beers are great.

I can imagine this beer would be great if the carbonation would be better. As is its still drinkable, once you get past the lack of carb.

I live in the same area as Lost Abbey/Pizza Port tempature from beach breezes are a problem.
Give the beer a shake to activate the yeast and store it like you would your homebrew for the same or more time.

They are reportedly using a hot room now to carbonate.

Interesting idea...I wish I had done my research before opening this one. Maybe I'll go grab another tomorrow.

Thanks for the insight!

I had the same problem with one i got from wegmans. I know its been covered but them and lost abbey are sister companies, and they are known for carb problems. (Flat Abbey) is their nickname. Hop-15 when carb'd is very very good though.

Latest posts

Back