SOCAL San Diego Stone 13th 08/20/09 - 08/25/09 olllllo's Alegust Beer Trek Part II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some free time to spend in SoCal. My only firm date right now is
Saturday for Stone 13th Anniversary Celebration

So the days before and after are flexible.

I'm looking to hit up Port/Lost Abbey as well.

Not sure about where I'll be staying either, yet.

Lets drink some beer. Brewout? Meet up? Tips?

Tip: Don't stay downtown in the gaslamp unless you've got some kind of hook-up. The rooms are expensive and hard to get, as it's tourist season.

There's lots of cool bars with good beer lists, for an evening, check out Toranado Welcome This place is an area called North Park, which is a very hip and beer-y side of town, just a stone's throw from downtown (which also has some cool places, but is kinda expensive, and way busy on weekends).

I'm up for whatever, almost most of the people from HBT that are from San Diego that I know of are all in north county, up near where Stone, Lost Abbey/Port etc. are located.

hmm. Yeah, this all depends on where you're staying.

For Port/LA, I think you'd be best served going to this:
The Lost Abbey » Port Brewing’s Annual Pre-Stone Anniversary Brunch

Green Flash is also up in that area, but I've never been to their brewery. Great beer, nice guys, but I'm not sure how user-friendly their brewery is.

Since you'll be in on the 20th, I'd suggest either Thursday or Friday (2-5 only - horrible hours...) going to Alesmith. Again, it is a small brewery, but they are world class, have most of their beer on tap when you go there, and you can buy bottles right from them. And Jess (the person who works at the tap room) is totally rad.

You could also hit up Ballast Point's Scripps location while you're in that area. You don't even have to get on the freeway to get there. If you go on a Thursday, there's typically a cask or a special beer on, so you might get lucky with that. If it is Friday, well, you still get good beer. They just remodeled and I haven't seen the new tasting room yet, but I hear it is bigger which can only be good because the place gets crowded.

The other Ballast Point brewery is also our LHBS, and is a bit further South, which is closer to where you get to the greatest beer hallway in So Cal.

If you start at Blind Lady Alehouse in Normal Heights, then move on to Toronado, and then Hamilton's Tavern, and if you're feeling adventurous, all the way to downtown Johnny Brown's. There's a bus that goes between all but the Blind Lady. There are more beer bars on 30th as well. Ritual Tavern is a small restaurant with good beer. There's a place called the Linkery that I won't set foot in because the owner is a dick. There are a few others as well, but the 3 I mentioned (plus DTJBs) are your best bet.

Blind Lady Alehouse is owned by Lee Chase, of Stone brewing fame. They make pizza and salad and stuff like that. Toronado is loud and sterile, but has great beer, and Hamilton's is sort of the perfect bar. Great beer, shuffleboard, a better jukebox now that they switched it out, and the best atmosphere in SD.

As for brewing, I'm pretty sure I'd be down for a session on the 23rd if you wanted to do so. I could fire up my system or we could do it at someone else's house. My house isn't conducive to multiple brewers, but my old system is portable enough that I could throw it in my truck if we wanted to do so.

OH ****! I forgot Pizza Port. Pizza Port in Carlsbad is a must see. It is North County SD, and along the same corridor as GF, LA, Stone, etc., but is close to the coast, walking distance to the train and the beach, and has an amazing bottle shop next door. Food is good, lots of guest taps, and Jeff Bagby is a great head brewer.

There is a Lot to see an do in San Diego, Carnevoodoo hit a lot of them, 30th street has probably the most dense collection of places dedicated to serving really good craft beers in San Diego. I don't not the owner of linkery, but the food is good and the beer selection is good, and they usually have a cask or two running, but it is pricey. If you do end up Down town the neighborhood has some good food and lots of beer's

there is also Brewery Tours of San Diegowho from what I hear do a good job, and you can get single person tickets daily.

In my hood C-MONT! there is Obrein's "the hoppiest place on earth" which has an excellent selection on tap, and an impressive bottle list.

No mater what you will have a good time!

This is also a great resource for Brewery information Pub quest

It is a site dedicated to listing Brewery's and Brew houses, so you won't find a lot of the bars that were mentioned, unless they brew as well. Blind lady ale house is not (or not that I know of yet, was there last week) brewing just yet, but I hear they should be soon.

pubquest is a little limited. beermapping.org is much more thorough.

there's also the San Diego Brewer's Guild site that has a lot of good information.

This is also a great resource for Brewery information Pub quest

It is a site dedicated to listing Brewery's and Brew houses, so you won't find a lot of the bars that were mentioned, unless they brew as well. Blind lady ale house is not (or not that I know of yet, was there last week) brewing just yet, but I hear they should be soon.

Blind Lady has brewed at the Mission facility. They don't have on-site brewing capability, but Lee has made his first beer there.

damn, even I learned a few things on this thread.
So, who else is going to stone? I'll be at the PM session.
Chris Cochran, the marketing guru at Stone, spoke at our last club meeting (my club does the free sodas every year) and gave us this teaser.
He says they have been very direct with the participants this year that they don't want them to bring the stuff you can buy in the store... please bring the special stuff.
I can't wait!

Well, I've decided on 2 things.
1) I am buying tix for the first session of Stone's 13th right now as the price will go up soon and Stone Greg keeps tweeting that there are under 18% tix left.
2) I will spend that evening in Carlsbad near Port.

I just lost my ticket/ride to the AM session. My buddy's g/f, who hates beer, has decided she wants to go. I needs a back-up plan.

everyone pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as places to go. also if you are in the north park area during the day an awesome way to spend the afternoon is getting a backpack full of beers and playing disc golf at morley field.

also the Liars' club is a fun place to go to as well.

everyone pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as places to go. also if you are in the north park area during the day an awesome way to spend the afternoon is getting a backpack full of beers and playing disc golf at morley field.

also the Liars' club is a fun place to go to as well.

Liar's club is fun if your up in Alpine, Don't try to go to the Mission Beach location, It closed a long time ago"("""""""

I'm trying to get my wife to get on board for the first Saturday session, Taking the train from Salono beach, after hitting up Pizza Port...then the sprinter up to Cal state San Marcos.

yeah, I meant the alpine location. should have been more specific. (especially if you look at the website that is still up!) :) it'll be great for him to stop at if he is driving. just right off the 8.

It looks like I'll be going to the Stone 13th anniversary B session with the SWMBO and a couple non-homebrew friends. Can't wait to drink some excellent beer! A guy I was talking to last night highly recommended Jolly Pumpkin's stuff. He's a huge sour fan and said that's his favorite brewer in the world.

Umm, guys... The Liar's Club in Alpine has been closed for a long time now.

Louis works at Hamilton's for now. They're doing a Liar's Club night in November, I think. I'll be out of town for that.

olllllo, when you hit the middle of SD, let us know. I'll be there for sure.

It looks like I'll be going to the Stone 13th anniversary B session with the SWMBO and a couple non-homebrew friends. Can't wait to drink some excellent beer! A guy I was talking to last night highly recommended Jolly Pumpkin's stuff. He's a huge sour fan and said that's his favorite brewer in the world.

Jolly Pumpkin is pretty damn amazing stuff. I was really sad when they lost distribution on San Diego early last year, and really happy when Stone brought them back. yay!

I'll drive in on Friday AM, so downtown SD might be in the cards.
Saturday I hit the first session of Stone. Stay and drink at the Port Carlsbad area.

I haven't decided whether to stay Sunday night. I'll play that by ear.

I'm PMing you SD peeps my contact info.

I just got this News letter from O'Brien's pub for what will be going on this weekend there, looks like some good stuff going on for your weekend here!

Hello Beer Fans!

Just a short update this week on what is new at the pub. Tonight, Thursday the 20th, we tap a cask of Ballast Point Even Keel at 5 pm. This is a delicious and hoppy, yet low-alcohol beer that is satisfying and easy to drink. It should be perfect for a warm summer day. We also have some new beers on tap including Green Flash West Coast IPA, Green Flash Imperial IPA, Craftsman Heavenly Hefeweizen and we have a fresh keg of Port Brewing's Summer Pale Ale (SPA) which is hopped like the old SPA, but is a bit lighter in color and body.

Friday the 21st we are hosting a night of beers from Brasserie Dupont which will include one of my favorite Belgian beers - Avec les bon Voeux. It is a strong saison (8%) brewed for the holidays and translates to "with best wishes". We will also have Moinette Brune, Saison Dupont and Foret Organic Saison all on tap. As an added bonus, I am also tapping kegs of Rodenbach Grand Cru and Russian River Temptation. It should be a great night of Belgian beer at the pub. If all goes well, I will even have more of the Alpine Bad Boy double IPA on tap.

There are plenty of new bottles on the update bottle list. We have the new Stone, Cambridge, Brew Dog collaboration called Juxtaposition - it is an Imperial black Pilsner at 10% abv. Also from Stone is the new 13th Anniversary Ale which is a double red. Head Brewer Mitch Steele says it uses the most hops of any beer ever brewed at Stone. Brew Dog did a collaborative barleywine, Devine Rebel, with Mikkeller from Denmark and aged part of it in Whiskey barrels. We still have all of the bottles from our Port Brewing/Lost Abbey night - Duck Duck Gooze, Red Poppy, Signature, Bourbon Barrel Santa's Little Helper, Cuvee de Tomme and Angel's Share. Russian River Temptation is also new on the list. And every weekend you can get 10% off any of our bottles including import bottles purchased to-go.

This weekend is the big Stone Anniversary Party on Saturday the 22nd. Look for Deschutes Black Butte XXI to take the place of the Empire Strikes Black. The Chargers play their second preseason game at 7 pm Saturday against the Cardinals. It is on the road, so it will be live on tv. Next week look for a cask of Alpine Nelson IPA on Thursday at 5 pm.

That is your quick good beer update for now. We'll see you soon for a great beer. Cheers, Tom

Tom Nickel
O'Brien's Pub
20 Taps - Tons of Hops
4646 Convoy Street
O'Brien's Pub, San Diego - The Hoppiest Place on Earth

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, i didn't get to mee Freezeblade. I did however get to meet carnevoodoo at Hamilton's Tavern.

All-in-all it was a good trip. Got to AleSmith, Lost Abbey, 2 Port locations, Alpine, Stone Bistro, Toronado and Hamilton's.

Lots more to go back for too.

Good luck at Siebel CV!

Back