Male plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a plant growing in my "garden" that is not producing any cones. Instead, it is producing clusters of little flowers. My research indicates that this may be a male sexed plant.

Plans are to uproot this plant in early spring and replant in a planter, and use the bines to cover a trellis for privacy. Question is, will these male bines with flowers, that are growing up the same strings as a female plant have any detrimental effect on the cones that are currently developing?

They will result in mature seeds in your cones. This diverts energy from resin and oil production. The seeds will throw off your weights as well. I would dig the plant out and toss it. You can always cover your trellis with cuttings from the female plants.

David's right. I would remove the intruder from your harem ASAP.

However, I wouldn't be so quick to toss it. You might find someone here who is interested in trying something kinky.

Someone last season from the board got a male rhizome as well. I think that he donated it to a nature preserve or something like that. You'll definately want to get this thing out of your yard JPic. Hell, I'm a county away and I'm still worried about your dirty boy soiling one of my girls!

Probably a good time to bring the topic of males up for newer growers. I had a few male flowers on my cascade last year which I promptly removed. So far this year it's looking all female, but another two weeks will tell for sure. Here's a picture I found on my old thread. IF YOU SEE THESE ON YOUR PLANTS REMOVE THEM IMMEDIATELY!! And if this is all that is growing on your bines then you'll wanna remove the plant.

DSCN1739.jpg

Of course there is an exception to every rule...
English Fuggle hops SHOULD be allowed to go to seed.
I don't beleive it's done with US Fuggle but common and tradition with english.

Well, that plant had two major bines. One growing up it's own string next to the good ones, the other intertwined with two bines from a virtuous (I hope) female plant. When I went to untangle them, the mail plants all disintegrated into a thousand pieces. I am not feeling good about this.

But I'm NOT worrying, because I have about 2 # of hops in my freezer. :ban:

I cut the male plant down to 10" bines. I see roundup in it's future.

Back