Simplest Hop Sock / Stopper Ever???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Drill-less. Noise-less. A 5 minute assembly, tops. 4 parts all ready to roll not including screws and screen.

Here's the baby:

355888372.jpg

(2) 4" galvanized pipe U-Clamps.
(2) 1/4" threaded rods.
(4) 1/4" wingnuts and washers.

All pretty much in a 3-aisle radius at Home Depot.

With a 2-gallon paint screen inserted (note screen is elasticized so it stays put no problem). I did stretch the 4" U-clamps a bit to make them rounder when assembled together. Otherwise the shape was more oval-like.

355888375.jpg

Now I know some of you won't be comfortable with the sock just hanging like that, so if you want to make it rock-solid secure, add safety pins (ROCK solid).

356003943.jpg

I think I done good! :ban:

Excellent.

Similar to the one using the PVC coupling in the center, but no risk of melting PVC. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I did start out wanting to make the PVC version, but my HD didn't have a collar that size, so I just improvised and came up with this. Really not hard to create some sort of rig with all the miscellaneous stuff a HD-like store has...

Got me the PVC type. No melting problems here. This totally beats the muslin hop sack.

Your design is nice and simple. I'd try to get rid of the clamps some how.

Mine sits on the lower lip of my keggle. Its more or less locked in place when I drop it on the lip.

I call it Der Hopgezeignet. - Its a made up word meaning; Hop Awesomeness!!! Gezeignet means awesome in German. I just added hop & net for a new terminology.

2008_hops_II_001.jpg

I'll stick with Lil Sparky's design.

Definitely need something to clamp that strainer bag down. You lift that thing with 4-5 ounces of hop pellets, and it's going to drop like a rock.

HopBag6.jpg

I'll stick with Lil Sparky's design.

Definitely need something to clamp that strainer bag down. You lift that thing with 4-5 ounces of hop pellets, and it's going to drop like a rock.

View attachment 9958

Biermuncher - how many beers were under your belt as you cut that keggle top off?

A wino packed with $hit in his britches, drunk on ripple, could have done a better job. :D

Biermuncher - how many beers were under your belt as you cut that keggle top off?

A wino packed with $hit in his britches, drunk on ripple, could have done a better job. :D

Yeah but I gave him the night off to service yer sister....:D:p:drunk:...

...er...uh...just kidding....I'm working up a good Monday nite druck rite now.

I'm wondering how well the hop sack will work with an electric keggle. It will probably sit down low enough to hit the element, but since the wort is moving past the element so quickly (boiling) it may keep the sack off it. Thoughts?

I don't like just using the stainless scrubbie over/under the dip tube, doesn't seem to work as well. Also I may go with a bottom mounted drain which means it would be even harder to filter out the hops.

Thought of the best idea to retain the bag: safety pins.

However I have to say, I'm nearly sure it's not necessary - I gave the bag a real hearty pull and it wasn't going anywhere. I'm also only doing 5 gallon batches so the amount of hops in there ain't gonna weigh it down that bad...

Where do you find safety pins these days tho'??

Yup, the safety pins were the answer. I could put a 40lbs weight in that sock and the mesh will rip before it slips thru the frame.

356003943.jpg

356003944.jpg

Oh yah, you gotta love oatmeal and wheat in a craft light beer! :rockin:

What recipe is that? I looked at your recipes and your english pub ale doesn't say nothin, no how (gotta love the triple negative) about oatmeal and wheat.

Could use a quick brewing quafin ale. QBQA.

As for Biermuncher's keggle. He doesn't like things pretty. He likes things mean and ugly. Have you met his wife? :eek:

JK
:D

I guess the same thing could be used for my stove top extract brews too. Might have to make one this weekend. It would be for hops only no grains. Has anybody used one of these for extract? All the pictures I see are usually AG

I guess the same thing could be used for my stove top extract brews too. Might have to make one this weekend. It would be for hops only no grains. Has anybody used one of these for extract? All the pictures I see are usually AG

I have not, but it would work the same as long as it hung below the boil line.

I think the simplist hop sack is a paint strainer and a clothing line pin. Just clip the top of the sack to the rim of the pot and go.

Are any of you concerned about using non-stainless threaded rod and/or safety pins, etc. for this project? I'd think that steam would condense on the metal parts and drip back into the beer... since we're all so anal about using only stainless/copper/brass (and some may restrict this list to less than that), I'd think this would be frowned upon.

The reason I ask is that neither Home Dump nor BLowes carry threaded stainless rod.

Are any of you concerned about using non-stainless threaded rod and/or safety pins, etc. for this project? I'd think that steam would condense on the metal parts and drip back into the beer... since we're all so anal about using only stainless/copper/brass (and some may restrict this list to less than that), I'd think this would be frowned upon.

The reason I ask is that neither Home Dump nor BLowes carry threaded stainless rod.

That's why mine looks like this;

The risk, if any from this would be insignificant. It's amazing how many homebrewers obsess about miniscule risks of contamination from things, but we have no qualms dumping a 9% Barleywine down our throat. :confused:

The risk, if any from this would be insignificant. It's amazing how many homebrewers obsess about miniscule risks of contamination from things, but we have no qualms dumping a 9% Barleywine down our throat. :confused:

Hey... I never said it was logical! Of course it's an obsession!! It's beer!!! :rockin:

I guess I'm just defending how anal I am about such things. I guess I'll look into Schlenkerla's CPVC route. Tell me, please, how does yours work? Is the CPVC pipe cemented to the ring? With only two support points, does it roll around?

-John

Hey... I never said it was logical! Of course it's an obsession!! It's beer!!! :rockin:

I guess I'm just defending how anal I am about such things. I guess I'll look into Schlenkerla's CPVC route. Tell me, please, how does yours work? Is the CPVC pipe cemented to the ring? With only two support points, does it roll around?

-John

It work great, It doesn't move around much either. I believe I built mine for $14.00

The first time I used it I was making a Barleywine with more than half a pound of whole hops.

There is a video out there somewhere.

I'm wondering how well the hop sack will work with an electric keggle. It will probably sit down low enough to hit the element, but since the wort is moving past the element so quickly (boiling) it may keep the sack off it. Thoughts?

I don't like just using the stainless scrubbie over/under the dip tube, doesn't seem to work as well. Also I may go with a bottom mounted drain which means it would be even harder to filter out the hops.

I have always considered it to be one of lifes un-written rules to never risk having your sack exposed to the elements. No matter what the context.

Back