Do kegs have to be cylindrical ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpete9000

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud ... but do Kegs have to be cylindrical ? Since the corny's most everyone uses were designed to hold soda at much higher psi that beer ever needs to be at , could you not made a rectangular corny that would be fine under 15-20 psi without to many issues ? or would even that little be no good and blow it apart ?

If you use the right materials (and thickness) and your welds are good and strong I don't see why you couldn't hold whatever pressure you desire, but it's going to cost more than a used corny

I believe kegs are round due to the simplicity of building them. One weld down the side, top and bottom. With a square keg you have 4 welds down the side, top and bottom. Although a square keg would make for much more efficient use of space its just not economical for large scale production. But could work!

It has to do with stress, and wall thickness. A cylinder has symmetrical even stress along the circumference. For a Square you would need thicker material, and would have uneven stresses for corners and walls. I am sure one could be built. But cylindrical storage tanks are standard, in must storage of pressurized fluids.

Not to mention you can get cornys cheap.

So, where do you find the "cheap" cornies these days? I have two that I got for a fair price last year and I'd like to get another 2 or 3, but I'm just not finding any good deals. I'm seeing prices around $30-40 each with shipping. Maybe that is "cheap" now...

So, where do you find the "cheap" cornies these days? I have two that I got for a fair price last year and I'd like to get another 2 or 3, but I'm just not finding any good deals. I'm seeing prices around $30-40 each with shipping. Maybe that is "cheap" now...

Unless you find the rare deal on CL or buy a bulk load from somewhere you are absolutely right. I pay $35 from my LHBS. Although I haven't tried this yet, you might talk to some soda distrubutors in you area and see if they have some old ones laying around. Even if you had to put some work into them you have the chance of coming out ahead.

Depending on where you live, these guys might work out a bit cheaper.

You can check out this. I think $20 for a corny is a pretty good deal. I have not ordered from them before but I was thinking about ordering 4 very soon.

In this situation, it looks like you are paying for the tank but would still have to buy new O-rings, and potentially other parts before they would be functional.

Has anybody ordered from them before?

In this situation, it looks like you are paying for the tank but would still have to buy new O-rings, and potentially other parts before they would be functional.

Has anybody ordered from them before?

This is my lhbs. I have 3 kegs from them and over 1-1/2 years have only had to replace one poppit. Honestly it didn't have any problems but the gasket on the poppit looked so beat up i decided to do it anyhow.

They rinse and pressure test all the kegs when they get them. And yes, when they get plenty of them they are cheap!! By standard the single handle kegs are cheaper than the two handled kind. Just personal preference but i like the single handled kegs better anyway.

This is my lhbs. I have 3 kegs from them and over 1-1/2 years have only had to replace one poppit. Honestly it didn't have any problems but the gasket on the poppit looked so beat up i decided to do it anyhow.

They rinse and pressure test all the kegs when they get them. And yes, when they get plenty of them they are cheap!! By standard the single handle kegs are cheaper than the two handled kind. Just personal preference but i like the single handled kegs better anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good deal.

Back