German Pils German Pils (Dry Hopped????)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Yeast Starter
NO
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
17 days @ 55
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days @ 40-45
Additional Fermentation
Maybe if I dry hop
Tasting Notes
Not sure, still waiting
This is my first attempt at a lager, and I'm really not sure what taste profile I'm going for or looking to have. Because of all the ales i've been making, I haven't done enough pilsner drinking to get a feel for what a pils really is. So I guess I'm just going for a nice, clean, crisp pils. I brewed this while I was at a friends getting ready for a 70's theme Christmas Party. Next time I'll try not to do two different batches at once.

3.3 lbs Pils LME
3.3 lbs Pils LME (Late Addition 15 minute boil)
.5 lb Cara-Pils (Steeped @160 for 30 min)
1.2 oz Pearle 8% (60min)
.5 oz Cascade 5.9% (20 min)
1. oz Saaz 3% (10 min)
1 Whirlfloc tab
1 Bohemian Lager Wyeast 2124

Diacytel rested for 24 hours @ 69 before transfer to secondary

I'm thinking of trying a dry hop on this, but I haven't experimented with that before. From what I've heard the Amarillo and Centennial can add a lot of citrus to the brew. Would that be alright for this style of pils? It's been a few weeks since I sampled it at transfer. Or do i stick with a hops more of the German style like a Saaz or Hallertau? I've got about two weeks left before I was going to bottle so I thought now was the time to make the decision to dry hop or not.

--Update: It came out a little darker than I had hoped, but I am really happy with the flavor. I dry hopped with 1oz of Tettnanger, which I had never used before. Cool, fairly crisp, dry, hoppy, good head retention. I did mess up the carbing stage by putting it into too cool of an area so it took over a month to carb.

Typically a Bohemian Pils is not dry hopped but it is really a matter of what your tastes are. The great thing about homebrewing is there are no rules when it comes to brewing to your tastes. If you plan on entering this beer in a competition for style and you still want to dry hop, I would suggest sticking to the traditional (Saaz).
mark
Beer Diary...

Back