Process Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sk84BeeR

Reaction score
Situation: Brewing a Brewers Best Irish Stout Kit (extract and steeped grain)
I have already brewed this and wanted to check if I screwed
anything up.

Process Question: I steeped my grains in 3 gal. for 20 min., then POURED THE
GRAIN WATER INTO THE ALE PAIL. I then boiled 3 gal. with
the malt extract, hops, and maltodextrin. I cooled the wort
in an ice bath, then ADDED IT TO THE GRAIN WATER.

Why?: I did it this way because the instructions read DO NOT BOIL GRAINS.
Like an idiot, I didnt' check HOW TO BEW like I normally do. I checked
the HOW TO BREW website today and it said to do all of this with one
batch of water.

I'm not too stressed out about this, but I wanted to see if anyone has had similar experiences like this and if it would have any negative effects on the beer.

Thanks!@

You'll probably, maybe be okay, but this is not the proper way of doing it. It says don't boil the grains because one steeps them for 30-45 minutes at about 150*F, then removes the grain bag from the steeping water, brings that water to a boil, then adds all the other goodies.

You add about 2 gallons of fresh, boiled (and cooled) water to your Ale Pail, then dump the cooled wort on top of that. Then inoculate with your starter or reconstituted dried yeast.

Yeah, I know the process was wrong. I was trying to see if anyone else had pulled this bonehead move besides me. It's fermenting fine and everything's sanitary. I'm just worried the flavor might be off.

Thanks for the Help.

There are a couple of potential problems, hopefully the water was high enough to kill any wild stuff from the grains.
Also, without boiling the water from the steeped grains you are not getting a hot break or a cold break, so your have some cloudy beer.
Otherwise, if you pitched at a good temperature with a healthy yeast population they should be able to win out, and make some good beer.
Don't worry about it, just learn from your mistakes and continue to improve your process and make better beer.

Side note, POST 1000. :) I must spend too much time on the computer and not enough brewing.

Back