Requesting input on an extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some DME that rarely gets used and decided to use it up on a small 4 gallon batch before it gets stale on me. I'm also using up some leftover hops that have been opened.

Not sure what style to shoot for, but here's what I came up with. Does this sound like it would make for a decent beer? The goal is something easy, quick & low maintenance.

Batch size = 4 gallons
Target OG = 1.047 (~ 4.5% ABV)
Target IBU = 31

2 lbs. 4 oz. Light DME (51%)
1 lb. 11 oz. Amber DME (38%)
0.5 lb. Honey (11%)

0.4 oz. Nugget 12%AA at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6%AA at 40 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6%AA at 20 min.

Nottingham Dry Yeast

Boil all DME for 60 min. Add honey at 15 min. Ferment at 74F for 10 days then bottle.

throw some specialty grains to steep for body. Maybe some munich or crystal grains. Without it and with the addition of honey you might end up with a thin beer.

Well the point is to not have to buy anything extra for this beer & I'd like to do it soon without a trip to the LHBS. I'm sure they would help but I'm gonna pass on the specialty grains.

I'm ok with a thin beer for this batch, however I do have maybe an extra 1 to 1.5 lbs. of extra light DME I could also use. Was hoping to save that for future starters though.

I think you'll be okay with the DME and omit the honey (use it to sweeten tea or something). Yeah, it'll be comparatively thin. But you'll have met your goal of using up your almost-stale ingredients and you'll have beer! That, after all, is what's important!

Bob

Back