Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I enter this recipe in Beer Alchemy I get an OG of 1.077. Any ideas why this would be 13 points higher than the OP's numbers. I know that there can be a variation in software but 13 points is a lot.

biggest culprit i can think of is batch size. this is a 5.5g to the fermenter. and i think edwort shoots for 70% eff...that would account for a couple points?

i really like beer alchemy. you have it on your phone? or mac?

I have it on my mac. I have it set for a 5.5gal batch and 75% efficiency. I thought i read in an earlier post that this recipe is based on 75% efficiency.

strange. i'm sure you have checked your grain bill input. try 66% eff. that is what he has put in for the recipe found HERE

I brewed this 1 week ago, followed the recipe to a T as much as possible, got an OG of 1.065, so thought was perfect, pitched safale -05 yeast after aerating, did not make a starter, and set in a room of 66/67 deg F, so only a couple degrees warmer than the recommended 62-65. Well, it looked great, smelled great, and the airlock was bubbling like crazy for the first 2 or 3 days, but has not really bubbled at all since. Is this normal ? Is it possible that most of the fermenetation was done in just 3 days ? This is my 3rd attempt at all grain.

I brewed this 1 week ago, followed the recipe to a T as much as possible, got an OG of 1.065, so thought was perfect, pitched safale -05 yeast after aerating, did not make a starter, and set in a room of 66/67 deg F, so only a couple degrees warmer than the recommended 62-65. Well, it looked great, smelled great, and the airlock was bubbling like crazy for the first 2 or 3 days, but has not really bubbled at all since. Is this normal ? Is it possible that most of the fermenetation was done in just 3 days ? This is my 3rd attempt at all grain.

It's normal. Just don't jump the gun because there's no airlock activity. Give it at least a couple weeks for the yeast to finish fermenting it and to clean up after themselves. You're fine.

I went with Nottingham from past batch on a starter. Bubbling in 2 hours.

I also had used FLAKED rye in place of the rye malt ground. Hit my numbers exact with my cooler MLT. I think I could have gotten a bit higher eff with the rye malt.

This is my 5th brew (2nd AG). This will be a great retirement gift to myself. Can't wait to share it with all of my friends and family.

Ed, I checked out your Hefe recipe. Wish I would have read the thread ahead of time... I woke, around 2 A.M. to a pop! Found the lid to my primary had blown off. I managed to rig up an emergency blow off tube. Violent fermentation, I would have to say, is a little bit of an understatement! ;)

I hope this batch goes a smoothly, without the blow out, as my last batch. Has anybody tried the flaked rye instead of flaked barley? I know they use flake oats for head retention in stouts... wondered if it was the same principle? Also, I'm batch sparging this. I hope that's right.

I used flaked rye. The difference it makes is in the mouth feel and the over rye taste. Flaked rue will have less ryeness to it.

I had a lot of trub in my pot... ~1.5 gals worth. Ended up with about 3.5 gals and my OG was 1.060, so should I top off with boiled water to make up the difference? I'm just worried the IBUs will be too high to enjoy the beer.

Thanks pinback, I was thinking if I do this recipe again, I would change out the rye for rye flakes.

Have any of you guys/gals brewing this compared it to Sierra Nevada's ruthless rye. Im really enjoying ruthless and in looking at Ed's recipe, it looks like it would be similar...the rye and hops at any rate.

The Ruthless Rye is very good, I agree. But it's different from this recipe IMO. To me the Ruthless has more crystal or a sweeter flavor and I'm pretty sure there's no Chinook in it.

DustBow said:
The Ruthless Rye is very good, I agree. But it's different from this recipe IMO. To me the Ruthless has more crystal or a sweeter flavor and I'm pretty sure there's no Chinook in it.

I wonder if the sweeter flavor is from the chocolate malt in Ruthless...

Actually, Chinook is used for flavor and aroma. Sierra is one of the cool breweries that share their ingredients :).

You're right, I was off on that one. The single hop flavor of this recipe is just different to me I guess

You're right, I was off on that one. The single hop flavor of this recipe is just different to me I guess

that very well could be. As much as people say that the bittering addition adds little to flavor, I find that hard to believe. If that were the case, everyone would bitter with the same hop they are using for late additions.

funny thing is, for the first time in my (short) homebrew/beer snobbery career, when I tasted the ruthless rye, I could immediately identify the hop used for flavor/aroma. In retrospect, i feel like chinook was made to be paired with rye.

Guess Ill have to make me some bee cave rye IPA and compare ;).... someone has to :drunk:

Hi, just brewed this recipe for the second time, this time started with an initial gravity of 1.056 (a little low). I hydrated the US-05 yeast and pitched it, let it ferment at 66degrees for 18days, went to transfer to keg, and final gravity was only at 1.026. Same thing happened the first time i brewed it.. Any advice ? what am i doing wrong ? Thanks
(note: the first time i brewed it, my initial gravity reading was spot on with what the recipe aims for, but I did not hydrate the yeast, just pitched it in dry.. and with that batch, it fiished around 1.03.. So i was hoping that when i brewed it the second time, that by properly hydrating the yeast, it woudld completely finish fermenting, but it did not)

1Brewer85 said:
Hi, just brewed this recipe for the second time, this time started with an initial gravity of 1.056 (a little low). I hydrated the US-05 yeast and pitched it, let it ferment at 66degrees for 18days, went to transfer to keg, and final gravity was only at 1.026. Same thing happened the first time i brewed it.. Any advice ? what am i doing wrong ? Thanks
(note: the first time i brewed it, my initial gravity reading was spot on with what the recipe aims for, but I did not hydrate the yeast, just pitched it in dry.. and with that batch, it fiished around 1.03.. So i was hoping that when i brewed it the second time, that by properly hydrating the yeast, it woudld completely finish fermenting, but it did not)

Maybe your thermometer is off and you are mashing a lot higher than you think. Seems strange to be finishing so high. Have you tried to rouse the yeast or pitch some more?

thermometer was new, and know it is accurate through testing, no i did not pitch any more yeast, how would you recommend 'rousting' the yeast ?? would be worth a shot i suppose.. If my mash temperature was too high, say by 8 degrees for part of the mash, how would that contribute to the high gravity ? Thanks

I was thinking of aging in secondary for 4 weeks, after 1 week in primary. Is it a good idea or would I be better served aging in the bottle?

I was thinking of aging in secondary for 4 weeks, after 1 week in primary. Is it a good idea or would I be better served aging in the bottle?

Only one week in primary is not long enough. I would do 3 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary if you dry hop.

My third -or is it fourth- batch of this went in the fermenter yesterday. A regular house brew if there ever was one. I've had positive comments about several of my beers, but this one is in a class by itself, the "Wow, this is one of the best beers I've ever tasted" category.

does anyone know if the 5.5 gal batch size refers to the volume into fermentor OR end of boil volume?

makes a difference in IBUs when scaling this to different equipment.

thanks!

Hey edwort/everyone else. I just attempted brewing a 11 gallon batch of this for my first 10+ gallon of the summer. My final reading came in at 1.075. This could either be because i had to do a double batch sparge since my cooler could only hold an additional 4 gallons of water with the grains. Or due to not being used to the boil off rate of this bigger/wider kettle. It seemed as though i had at least 10.5 gallons post boil since each time i filled the bottling bucket to transfer into carboy, it was well above the 5 gallon mark. How will this effect the beer and also is there anything i should do to get the brew closer to what it should be? Dont want to wind up with 10 gallons of un-enjoyable beer so any help will be appreciated.

Was wondering what yeast is everyone using, and what temp should I be using when I fly sparge. Also what is the original OG

Was wondering what yeast is everyone using, and what temp should I be using when I fly sparge. Also what is the original OG

This is now one of my regular brews. I use US-05, as specified in the recipe. It works so well, I've never had any reason to switch to something else. I don't fly sparge, I do a single infusion batch sparge with 3 gallons at 175F. My OG comes out at the upper end of the stated range, 1.070 - 1.075.

This is now one of my regular brews. I use US-05, as specified in the recipe. It works so well, I've never had any reason to switch to something else. I don't fly sparge, I do a single infusion batch sparge with 3 gallons at 175F. My OG comes out at the upper end of the stated range, 1.070 - 1.075.

thanks for the info I just noticed that when I use the HBT app on my droid and look at this thread page 1 starts with the line BCB Rey IPA and then lists the ingredents. I cant see the top of the page where it lists the recipe type, yeast,batch size,og and so on. when I look at the forum on my pc or use the browser on my phone not the app i can see the entire page i also think ill fly sparge at 178 lookig foward to this beer brewing tomorrow.... cant wait

So went to brew shop on sat and brewing today monday. and realized Im missing an once of chinook lucky for me I had in my freezer .75 oz of Chinook and .25 oz of northern brewer any one think i should mix the two or just use the Chinook at knock out?

So the recipe says to stay in primary for 10 days then cold crash.is that done in the primary bucket? They say to cold crash for 3 days then ill keg and Carb will come up in about 8 days. So this beer will be done in 21 days?

In my experience, this brew was better a little further down the road. 22 days and it was a bit green. Month and a half to two was optimum if I remember correctly.

laserghost said:
So what was the best dry hop to go with the chinook?

Since the only aroma addition is Chinook, I imagine Chinook would be the best for dry hopping.

Chinook sounds like a safe choice, I guess I was hoping to hear about some more unexpected, but equally delicious decisions.

Back