check valve shut offs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am a keg newbie trying to put together a kegging system, and I am looking for the one-way shut-off valves that you put on the gas side to keep backflow out. I didn't see em on Keg Connections web site. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I think Bee Cave Brewery had some nice ones if I recall correctly.
Thanks

I use item #K039 from http://www.northernbrewer.com/gas-handling.html

The 1/4" barbed connection

shut-off-valves.jpg

In use

2692541007_db37ceb7a1.jpg

I have the same one, with barbed connections, but I got mine from kegkits.com for about $30 cheaper.

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CO2Man

Yah, I bought mine from keg kits as well. But it took Tom 4 weeks to get the shipment to me so I don't recommend that store if you would like your items within a month. Lots of folks chimed in with shipping issues with KegKits after I asked for more information on other's experiences with them.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68340&highlight=kegkits

Yah, I bought mine from keg kits as well. But it took Tom 4 weeks to get the shipment to me so I don't recommend that store if you would like your items within a month. Lots of folks chimed in with shipping issues with KegKits after I asked for more information on other's experiences with them.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68340&highlight=kegkits

Hmmm.. I missed the thread before on getting things from them and yeah, my shipping was a little slow but not too bad. I am pretty sure I got the manifold in exactly a week... vs. the next freakin' day from Kegworks.... those guys are super fast with shipping... it's like they have someone standing at the computer waiting for the orders and then sprinting around packing boxes. I never get anything from Kegworks that's not at my house in two days or less.

I use these little in-line beauties from US Plastics for a $1.46 each. I've had them for 3 years now and they work perfectly. I had to send several of the check/shutoff valves from Northern Brewer back to them because the check would not hold. I finally got some that worked, but I installed the in-line ones for cheap insurance.

64046p.jpg

I use these little in-line beauties from US Plastics for a $1.46 each.

You are my hero. I bought my manifold without check valves (unintentionally! boy was I mad!) and in the past week, I've shot beer into the gas lines twice.

Each time, I "get" to take apart, clean with hot water, run StarSan through, drip dry, and reassemble. ARGH.

I am SO ordering these.

You are my hero. I bought my manifold without check valves (unintentionally! boy was I mad!) and in the past week, I've shot beer into the gas lines twice.

Each time, I "get" to take apart, clean with hot water, run StarSan through, drip dry, and reassemble. ARGH.

I am SO ordering these.

I'm glad I could be of assistance. Just out of curiosity, how are you getting beer into your gas lines? Are you overfilling your kegs so that the liquid level is reaching the short gas in dip tube, or are you trying to carbonate through the liquid out fitting?

Overfilling - I just kicked one keg, and had another already force carb'ing... So now I've got two carb'ing, and 1 dispensing. The first back-up was when I had the two force-carbing valves open, and opened the third valve to re-charge my dispensing keg. The keg was way low on pressure, so the differential sent Hobgoblin rushing all the way up the gas line, into the manifold, out another line, and halfway into my pale ale. The second time was just into the line, no major travel - that occured when I popped my relief valve to see if the QD was seated right. The pressure differential sent Pale Ale up into the line.

Turns out the US Plastics ones are on order right now... I wonder if McMaster #2987K23 is similar.
FDA-Compliant Nylon Check Valves
* Maximum Pressure: 150 psi @ 70° F
* Cracking Pressure: 0.5 psi
* Temperature Range: -60° to +200° F
Made of material that meets FDA requirements for use with soft tubing in food and beverage applications, these check valves fit into tight spots and have good chemical resistance. Diaphragm is silicone. Color is natural white. Note: Cv factor is not rated. Connections: Barbed.
Trying to remember what size line I'm running.... d'oh.... :(

I use the Northern Brewer ones also, except mine have flare connectors on the outputs. All of my equipment has flare connectors on it. I find them much more convenient than barb fittings. If I want to detach something, I just unscrew it.

Turns out the US Plastics ones are on order right now... I wonder if McMaster #2987K23 is similar.

Trying to remember what size line I'm running.... d'oh.... :(

I actually linked to the wrong size US Plastics in-line check valves. I linked to the 3/16" ones. I have 3/16" serving line, but I'm running 1/4" ID thick walled tubing for my gas lines. As it turns out, US Plastics has the 1/4" check valves on order as well. I just talked to a customer service rep there not two minutes ago who said that they will be receiving a shipment of these check valves in a couple of days.

The ones from McMaster look good too, albeit at twice the price. I also didn't see a listing for 1/4", only 1/8" and 3/16". So, if you can wait a few days, check back with US Plastics and see if they got any more in.

Sweet, I'll wait it out. I don't need anything else from McMaster at the moment (WTF? I couldn't find ANYTHING else to order?!) so I'll just put a sticky note on the kegerator to quit touching the gas lines for now. :drunk: Thanks for calling them, I appreciate it.

Back