First day of summer, First AG brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skybrew

Reaction score
Well for the first day of summer I accomplished my first AG. I want to thank all the people here who post up great advice, also to those who are thinking of making the dive into the AG pool go ahead it is not really all that hard.
Right now I have an AG Oatmeal stout from Austin Homebrew fermenting away and I see that I will be doing all grain brews from now on! My OG was a little off, but only .004 lower than the recipe, so I’m not really worried.

A couple of things I learn are:
My MLT (Igloo Ice cube) retains heat very well. I heated my strike water to about 175 and had to wait for quite a while for it to come down. I think I will only heat it to 165-170 range going forward as I lost only about 12 degrees after adding the grain.
First runnings are sticky! I forgot to have some paper towels at hand.
The two burner method does cut down on your time to boil. I used the kitchen stove to keep the wort hot until the sparges were done.
The two separate batch sparge method is nice. I heated the water for the second as I let the first one soak.

Thanks again to one and all, next up for me is the American Red Ale.

I was intimidated by the process of going all-grain until I helped with a brew yesterday, and now I'm fully prepared to make the jump. I've got the room to do full boils outside, so there's no excuse!

Congrats on a good first batch- look forward to tackling my own in the next couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back