What is the best method to purge with CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairyDogBrewing

Reaction score
I'm going to rack into a carboy this weekend.
I thought I'd run a cane through a carboy cap
and push in 30 seconds of cold CO2 in at 1 or 2 psi.

Discuss, please.

BTW This site rocks. :rockin:
Thanks to all the experts for sharing.
And, especially, thanks to all the (other) noobs
for asking questions.:)

There's no need to purge a secondary vessel.

The very brief exposure to air will not affect the beer. Once the beer is racked, the beer is going to continue to produce enough CO2 to blanket and protect the beer.

Oxidation is more of a risk with extended exposure to oxygen.

I have a MLF fitting on the end of the hose for my CO2 bottle. That way I can unscrew the ball lock connector if I want to purge bottles and such. Like the Muncher says, you don't need to worry, but if you want, you can just put the hose in the neck of the bottle and give it a 5 second shot. The CO2 will layer in the bottom just fine.

I have a MLF fitting on the end of the hose for my CO2 bottle. That way I can unscrew the ball lock connector if I want to purge bottles and such. Like the Muncher says, you don't need to worry, but if you want, you can just put the hose in the neck of the bottle and give it a 5 second shot. The CO2 will layer in the bottom just fine.

EdWort, do you have a picture of what you mean? That sounds like a great idea, for purging bottles before sending them to competitions. But I can picture what you are describing.

EdWort, do you have a picture of what you mean? That sounds like a great idea, for purging bottles before sending them to competitions. But I can picture what you are describing.

My kegerator in the house uses the same 1/4" MLF fittings. It makes for easy cleaning too. I only screw it on hand tight and no leaks. I can take it off to purge bottles, carboys, or growlers in a snap.

GasConnector1.jpg
GasConnector2.jpg

Back