Fan rating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
Or the electrically minded, I'm building a tower cooler and bought a thermaltake 80mm fan rated at 27 cfm, .18A, with 9v starting power and rated for 12v.

I'm connecting that to a Nokia cell phone acdc power brick rated at 200ma, not sure the volt rating.

My question is, will this acdc brick spin the fan up to max rpm and flow rate? Does this fan displace enough to cool my tower?

Without the volt rating of the cellphone wallwart it's near impossible to say if it will spin it up to the full RPM. It has enough current but, again, without knowing the voltage one can't really say. Many cell chargers these days put out ~5V. The fan wouldn't be anywhere near rated flow with that, if it works at all, but that's all speculation since we don't know.

Thanks. Does it need to be 12v to get rated flow?

Yes

The ratings are generally 'Free Air'
Meaning no restriction into or out of the fan.

-Finger Guard/grill = restriction
-Too few air inlets = restriction
-Inlet screen/filter = restriction
-Air temperature also has a small effect on performance.

'da Kid

Thanks, found a 12v wall wart from a linksys router. Currently got the cooler installed and seems to be doing a good job

Back