Why do we call it "Black" IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mdreyer93 said:
So how is this any different than an American Stout? I feel like its just a marketing ploy to capitalize off the popularity of IPAs.

It's not supposed to be roasty like a stout. The black is mainly color.

Cascadian Dark Ale is primarily what it's called out here in Cascadia (west coast of the U.S. and Canada). CDA's are often hopped citrusy like our IPAs, so really I think the CDA is the best name for this emerging style of beer. Let's leave "American" out of the name please.

HopHoarder said:
Cascadian Dark Ale is primarily what it's called out here in Cascadia (west coast of the U.S. and Canada). CDA's are often hopped citrusy like our IPAs, so really I think the CDA is the best name for this emerging style of beer. Let's leave "American" out of the name please.

The problem you have there is that 1) we have American IPAs and not Cascadian IPAs, and 2) the style originated in Vermont (or, at least, there is some argument over where it all started).

Hoppy beers that use American-style hops (citrusy) are all called "American" - American Pale Ale, American Brown Ale, American Amber Ale, American IPA, American Stout, American Barleywine. Shall we change all these names to "Cascadian"?

Regionalized names for any 'New World' centric beer is just not viable for the many reasons already stated in this thread. Keep cascadian out of the beer style, please.

Kerin said:
I disagree. You don't want the same amount of roast as a stout, but you want a little bit.

True but note I said mainly...It needs to be distinct from a hoppy stout or porter and I have heard too much roasty malt competes with citrusy american hops.

HopHoarder said:

Sorry hop hoarder but last I checked Canada and the United States are both in North America.

I am actually a fan of the CDA moniker and do feel the PNW has done more than its share to develop and popularize the style. But..if it's a bet to see where the naming ends up my money is on American Black Ale.

"Bob, Whatcha drinkin?"
"Nada"
"Huh?" [looking at Bob's glass] "It sure looks like you're drinking something."
"Yeah, NADA. A North American Dark Ale."
:D

Sorry hop hoarder but last I checked Canada and the United States are both in North America.

Yes they are but when you say "American" the common perception is a referral to the U.S. alone, which is my point. Incidentally Phillips Brewery in Victoria, Canada also had a hand in developing and popularizing the style. Plenty of American references already in beer styles, time for something different eh. Incidentally I like using only either Carafa or Midnight Wheat in making my CDAs dark.

Yes they are but when you say "American" the common perception is a referral to the U.S. alone, which is my point. Incidentally Phillips Brewery in Victoria, Canada also had a hand in developing and popularizing the style. Plenty of American references already in beer styles, time for something different eh. Incidentally I like using only either Carafa or Midnight Wheat in making my CDAs dark.

Its all good. Understand typical association between America and United States can be grating on Canadians, perhaps North American Black/Dark Ale would work.

Also I was actually considering coastal British Columbia to be part of the "Pacific Northwest". Maybe it is not said that way from north of the border...

I do like midnight wheat in my CDAs. Blackprinz is also very good and I will typically use equal amounts of the two to really keep the different roast flavors in the background...there, but not in the way of the hops. My local brewery makes an excellent "Black IPA" called "Low Tide". Very nice with lots of citrus hop aroma and fresh flavors, the brewer there tells me they use maltoferm--a super high lovibond dry extract to get to black. I've tried it in a couple beers and it does work well.

A question for the gallery...are you mashing the dark grains or doing a cold/warm steep ala Gordon Strong in your CDAs/Black IPAs/ABAs?

I mash my entire grainbill as a single step infusion. That being said I don't know if that's the best way or not. I generally like to mash around 150-152 for 75 minutes.

Latest posts

Back