Who drinks thier yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertard

Reaction score
I've noticed many that many people talk of pouring a bottle of beer in a way as to not disturb, and consequently not consume, the layer of yeast which has settled to the bottom of a bottle. However, some commercial beers, i think hoogarden is one, advise swirling the last inch of the bottle to resuspend the yeast and pouring that mixture onto the head of the freshly poured beer.
What is the consensus among the homebrew community? To yeast or not to yeast?

beertard said:
I've noticed many that many people talk of pouring a bottle of beer in a way as to not disturb, and consequently not consume, the layer of yeast which has settled to the bottom of a bottle. However, some commercial beers, i think hoogarden is one, advise swirling the last inch of the bottle to resuspend the yeast and pouring that mixture onto the head of the freshly poured beer.
What is the consensus among the homebrew community? To yeast or not to yeast?

Drink it!! Drink your trub, too.

I drink it when appropriate - hefes, wits, some other Belgian yeast-centric styles. However, in styles that should be clear, I avoid the sediment. Except the in the aforementioned cases, I find it bitter and unappetizing.

Depends. Most of the time, I'll stop the pour when the stream into the glass starts turning cloudy. Then I'll swig back the remaining stuff directly into my mouth. That way, I still get the yummy trub, but I don't cloud up the beer in the glass. But if I have a wheat beer, I'll swirl it a little and pour that into the glass.

Pretty much what Yuri said. There are a few styles where drinking the yeast is an important part of the flavor and body of the beer.

However, for most styles, I prefer it be left behind.

-D

in hefes, you're supposed to have the yeast, so i pour the whole thing in the glass.

For most other beers, i pour slowly into the glass, leaving the sediment on the bottom. then i usually drink that by itself afterward :D

Well, I usually pour off everything but the last 1/2 inch or so, leaving all the yeast behind.
Then I'll usually down the yeast. I think I read somewhere that it's good for you. But I mainly do it so that I can buttercup SWMBO later on!:cross:

www.urbandictionary.com defines BUTTERCUP as:

buttercup
Verb: A buttercup is a unique way in having someone else take a whiff, or in some cases, even a taste of a fart. All that needs to be done is when you feel it comming on, you cup your hand over the exit, catch the fart, and cup it over someone's nose and mouth. In some cases, "the thrower" can smell their own to make sure that it is a "good" one.

Kyle ralphed after he had tasted Joe's buttercup.

:tank:

My co-worker eats yeast. How, you say? I work at a research vineyard/winery so we have dry yeast in large quantities, he opens the the dry yeast, grabs a small handful and knocks it back. He likes the taste, not for health reasons. And he's always trying to get other people to try them. He likes some better than others too. He's a great guy, but like most of us has his little quirks.

You can buy nutritional yeast at health food stores. Its a dry powder that can substitute for salt or sugar or cheese, since it kinda tastes like all three. It supposed to be good for you.
But the trub at the bottom of my fermenter generally smells thoroughly unappetizing.

I like the low floc yeast if there isn't too much - mainly hefes, I drink the yeast.
But the high floc yeast that comes loose in little balls kind of gross me out, I don't like drinking them.

:tank: According to Papa Charlie brewer's yeast is one of the best sources of Vitamin B complex. When you drink a lot you need more of this so think of it as :D hangover prevention.

Funny bunch of humans, we homebrewers. We focus on clarifying our brews, we crash cool, we use irish moss, we use gelatin. Everything we can to make the yeast leave the beer and end up on the bottom of the bottle.

Then we DRINK it???????????????

Well, I usually pour off everything but the last 1/2 inch or so, leaving all the yeast behind.
Then I'll usually down the yeast. I think I read somewhere that it's good for you. But I mainly do it so that I can buttercup SWMBO later on
!

I'm not sure SWMBO is going to enjoy a "Buttercup" anymore than the "Dutch Oven";)

The hard part about trying to pour a clear beer is when you're doing so out of a 22-Oz bottle.

I mean...unless you have a 21-Oz (or larger) glass and can do one continuous pour, it's innevitable that the beer will back-splash into the bottle and stir up the yeast for the remainder of the bottle.

That's why I think that...were there to be a...hypothetically speaing of course....exchange of beers...within a certain brewing community....that I would ship 2 12-Oz'rs instead of one 22-Oz'r....hypothetically speaking of course... ;)

Less of course it's a hefe. :)

talleymonster said:
Then I'll usually down the yeast. I think I read somewhere that it's good for you. But I mainly do it so that I can buttercup SWMBO later on!:cross:

www.urbandictionary.com defines BUTTERCUP as:

buttercup
Verb: A buttercup is a unique way in having someone else take a whiff, or in some cases, even a taste of a fart. All that needs to be done is when you feel it comming on, you cup your hand over the exit, catch the fart, and cup it over someone's nose and mouth. In some cases, "the thrower" can smell their own to make sure that it is a "good" one.

Kyle ralphed after he had tasted Joe's buttercup.

:tank:

And go rent this for a demonstration.

Back