Sassafras/sarsaparilla root beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep us posted if you a version and anything you change

I brewed up 3 gallons of the "Signature" and 2 gallons of the "Honey Badger". I made some changes, but mostly minor. Here they are:

Signature - (3 gallons)
12qts - Water
36oz - Honey
3/8cp - Sarsaparilla
3/8cp - Sassafras
------------------------------
3cp - Brown Sugar
1/2cp - Vanilla Flavoring
3/8tsp - Nutmeg
4oz - Maltodextrine
1/8tsp Yeast/gallon

NOTE: I took out 3/8tsp salt and 3/8cp of raisins. I'll see how this batch ends up. I feel those wont make a big impact.

Honey Badger - (2 gallons)
8qts - Water
24oz - Honey
1oz - Sassafras
-----------------------------
1cp - Vanilla
2.6oz - Maltodextrine
1lb - Brown Sugar
1/8tsp - Yeast/gallon

NOTE: Other than altering the amounts of ingredients from a 3 gallon recipe, down to a 2 gallon recipe, nothing has really changed. The one big thing is that I noticed between the 2 recipes, the honey ratio in the Signature, was at a higher ratio than Honey Badger. This just didn't feel right. I mean, with a name like "Honey Badger" it should have at least the same ratio of honey. What I did, was, even though I cut out 1 gallon from the recipe, I kept the 24oz of honey that the 3 gallon recipe calls for. That puts me at 12oz/gallon, which is exactly what the Signature is at. However, Honey Badger has fewer ingredients, so I am hoping that may help in bringing that honey flavor to the front more.

NOTE NOTE: Up above, everything that is above the dashed line went into the pot and was boiled. Everything below the dashed line was put in right at the end after dumping the brew into the bucket. I can't wait to see how it all comes out. :)

Yes I force carb in a keg at 30 psi for about 4-5 days, and then let it sit at 15-20 for a week or so. Then I bottle the whole batch from the keg. I was getting too much foam due to the high carb volume, but from the bottle it's perfect.

Not sure on the self life, mainly because it's gets drank fast.

I've used regular chocolate malt and pale chocolate. Didn't notice much difference. Both work fine

Just reporting in:

I made the recipe with a few exceptions and additions (1 gallon)

1. Used Chocolate malt mix. Drained the thicker part of it near the end of boiling and used 3.5 Tbsps (for 1 gallon). Though I'm noting to reduce it perhaps by 1 more Tbsp for a more even flavor.
2. Excluded the honey as I've had problems using it in the past.
3. Used White sugar instead of Cane sugar.
4. Excluded the Wintergreen
5. Added "Cherry Bark" for a slightly different flavor

All-in-all, it tastes awesome! I'll be yeasting 1 16oz bottle and leaving 1 without to test. If it doesn't change the flavor I'll yeast the others and wait an additional week to build up fizz.

Experiments may vary on what I'll try next...

Just reporting in:

I made the recipe with a few exceptions and additions (1 gallon)

1. Used Chocolate malt mix. Drained the thicker part of it near the end of boiling and used 3.5 Tbsps (for 1 gallon). Though I'm noting to reduce it perhaps by 1 more Tbsp for a more even flavor.
2. Excluded the honey as I've had problems using it in the past.
3. Used White sugar instead of Cane sugar.
4. Excluded the Wintergreen
5. Added "Cherry Bark" for a slightly different flavor

All-in-all, it tastes awesome! I'll be yeasting 1 16oz bottle and leaving 1 without to test. If it doesn't change the flavor I'll yeast the others and wait an additional week to build up fizz.

Experiments may vary on what I'll try next...

Very interesting. I have a couple experiments I am going to do as well (eventually). One experiment is to use some food grade oak chips I cam across. The idea was to give it just a subtle "this root beer has been aged in oak barrels until it reached perfection" kind of taste without throwing anything off. How did the cherry bark affect flavor, as in, what did it add to it or change?

I am very curious about the use of chocolate malt. I'm assuming it adds some chocolate flavor to it, how strong is it? Is it more of a forward flavor, or background?

As far as "white sugar" goes, are you referring to powdered sugar?

Here are some pics from the pasteurizing I did last night.

Started with the bottles first.
NOTE: Ignore the icky ring around the burner, it's just rust and stuff that not even acid could remove. Don't judge me. LOL
bguUjP0.jpg

Moved onto the big boys after the bottles. Notice this is one of my "Signature" filled carboys. I made 3 gallons of it. ;)
CUKz8Gj.jpg

After not brewing for as long as I have, I forgot that one of the things I like with pasteurizing is how the color lightens up. This picture makes it look more like lake water or something, but it is more of a dark amber-ish color, like what you see in the bottom of these bottles.
nB68nOO.jpg

Here's the comparison of pasteurized and not pasteurized. This is also a better representation of the color difference.
WNY4qUq.jpg

Very interesting. I have a couple experiments I am going to do as well (eventually). One experiment is to use some food grade oak chips I came across. The idea was to give it just a subtle "this root beer has been aged in oak barrels until it reached perfection" kind of taste without throwing anything off. How did the cherry bark affect flavor, as in, what did it add to it or change?

I am very curious about the use of chocolate malt. I'm assuming it adds some chocolate flavor to it, how strong is it? Is it more of a forward flavor, or background?

As far as "white sugar" goes, are you referring to powdered sugar?

It was my initial fear that the mix would throw off the batch completely. Oddly enough, it's less like the chocolate taste then anticipated and simply adds a subtle taste. The main "chocolate" part was removed (the thick, white milky stuff during boiling) so it's not nearly as strong as it could've been. Instead, it left a nice trace. It also made the end root beer taste oh-so rich tasting <3

No, I didn't use any powdered sugar in mine. It's not cane sugar either but the processed white kind you could buy at any local food seller. I was originally going to buy cane sugar but decided against it since the only real difference is a darker color.

The cherry was a bit more prominent then the other flavors but thankfully didn't overpower any of them. It added mainly a "zing". However, I do caution not to use too much as otherwise the bitter part of it starts to rear its head. (yuck)

I'll let you know if anything changes after my storage period is finished.

Just to clarify, when I said I used Chocolate malt, I meant the grain like you use in beer brewing. You grind it and steep it like you would your specialty grains in extract brewing. Used this way and the amount I used it should only add color and not much flavor

Just to clarify, when I said I used Chocolate malt, I meant the grain like you use in beer brewing. You grind it and steep it like you would your specialty grains in extract brewing. Used this way and the amount I used it should only add color and not much flavor

Aye, I was aware. I was very curious what the taste might add though so I put it in. It's surprisingly really good! (clarification is appreciated though)

Also...jeez those are some cheap prices!

Last edited:
@Rootbeer! When you put the cherry wood into it, did you put it in the boil, or is it something you let sit around for a day or more? When I do my Oak chips, I am thinking of letting it sit for a bit, days I am guessing, to let the flavor kinda seep out on its own, much like it would if root beer was actually aged in barrels. :)

The experiment will be tasted along the way to gauge the flavor. Another part of this idea was just to let the chips sit in a jug of water, and taste that along the way to gauge the intensity of the flavor when it's only in water.

Anyway, once the root beer has achieved a nice, very subtle woodsy flavor, I will then put the yeast in it at that point. Since yeast can change the flavors a little bit, it'll be interesting to see how it tastes as a final product.

Pretty excited to try these experiments, but unless it's water I use, I still have another 4.5 gallons to drink first...lol

Here's a nice additional update...At least I think it is. Through my root beer making she had told me "there's only one batch that I liked a lot". This told me that she's going to have to be my motivation to make sure I nailed it this time. Turns out I did. She sent me this picture yesterday while I was at work :ban:

RKV7TTY.jpg

@Rootbeer! When you put the cherry wood into it, did you put it in the boil, or is it something you let sit around for a day or more? When I do my Oak chips, I am thinking of letting it sit for a bit, days I am guessing, to let the flavor kinda seep out on its own, much like it would if root beer was actually aged in barrels. :)

The experiment will be tasted along the way to gauge the flavor. Another part of this idea was just to let the chips sit in a jug of water, and taste that along the way to gauge the intensity of the flavor when it's only in water.

Anyway, once the root beer has achieved a nice, very subtle woodsy flavor, I will then put the yeast in it at that point. Since yeast can change the flavors a little bit, it'll be interesting to see how it tastes as a final product.

Pretty excited to try these experiments, but unless it's water I use, I still have another 4.5 gallons to drink first...lol

What I find when boiling is unless you put a LOT of ingredients in it, it'll ruin some of the aroma/flavor. I placed the Cherry wood about 20 minutes in the boiling period so it was more prominent. I've found that boiling takes some of the flavor away if it's in there too long. The thing is that boiling seems to "bring out" but also "take away". Trying to find that medium is the tricky part for myself. Either method (boiling or setting into finished root beer) will work, you just need to get the quantity down so it's not overpowering/underpowering. Experiment!

Now I'm considering simmering....

But in any case, my storage period is 2 weeks to let the flavors "get out" there. 3 days in a cellar (maybe longer depending on Yeast), 11 days in a cold environment.

Posting this update:

After letting the yeast and non-yeast batch set and tasting, I can tell a HUGE difference. Yeast is not the way to go for root beer carbonation (in my opinion). So I searched around for an alternative and found/tested it. What was it? Dry ice.

Now hear me out....

I did very, VERY careful measuring and testing before putting it into a 2 liter bottle of my main batch. After finally getting the right amount, I did it and it came out beautifully! There's delicious thick fizz (head) and it didn't change the taste! I've found my carbonation method that doesn't involve expensive equipment and I am happy.

Dry ice has long been a favorite for carbonating large batches of root beer at social functions. It’s fun to do too!

Dry ice has long been a favorite for carbonating large batches of root beer at social functions. It’s fun to do too!

Based on the times I've seen it though, I fear the head will deteriorate. Not to mention Dry Ice does not keep well lol. I'm going to have to make a large batch so I don't waste as much Dry Ice upon purchase.

Last edited:
Posting this update:

After letting the yeast and non-yeast batch set and tasting, I can tell a HUGE difference. Yeast is not the way to go for root beer carbonation (in my opinion). So I searched around for an alternative and found/tested it. What was it? Dry ice.

Now hear me out....

I did very, VERY careful measuring and testing before putting it into a 2 liter bottle of my main batch. After finally getting the right amount, I did it and it came out beautifully! There's delicious thick fizz (head) and it didn't change the taste! I've found my carbonation method that doesn't involve expensive equipment and I am happy.

Very interesting. I have actually never heard of this being a method of carbonation and now I am curious. How much did you use in the 2 liter bottle? How long did you let it sit in the bottle? How long does the head and overall carbonation last? Once it's carbonated, and dry ice removed, I am assuming you can close up the bottles to store longer term in the fridge?

Thank you for sharing that

Very interesting. I have actually never heard of this being a method of carbonation and now I am curious. How much did you use in the 2 liter bottle? How long did you let it sit in the bottle? How long does the head and overall carbonation last? Once it's carbonated, and dry ice removed, I am assuming you can close up the bottles to store longer term in the fridge?

Thank you for sharing that

Initial Note: The Dry Ice isn't removed, it's absorbed. When the amount needed is placed inside the liquid, you VERY quickly cap it and shake it for 5 minutes minimum for safety until the dry ice has been absorbed. The Co2 is absorbed into the mixture instead of exploding the bottle with pressure. Then you let it sit in a cold area until you feel like drinking it. You get an arm workout that's for sure.

From testing:
  • 7 grams for moderate head
  • 10 grams for A LOT of head.
  • If you do not measure carefully or do not shake enough, the plastic or glass can explode on you. Please be careful :(
  • I used 9 grams for my 2 liter
  • Do not go beyond 8-9 grams on a GLASS because it's very dangerous. Unless you leave a lot of room for carbonation.
  • Carbonation seems to last a long time in cold conditions (fridge or cold garage) but don't put it in the outside because freezing will kill it. I let it set for 6 days to test and it still came out thick and fizzy! (longer unknown)
  • When you open it, be ready for the fizz to come out (like champagne) so do it over a sink when you open it or a ready mug :3
Now the main issue: WHY DOES DRY ICE COST $13 FOR 1 POUND?!? Seriously though, this stuff does not last past 24 hours even with proper storage, and it's a waste of money for the leftover becoming air lol.

If you ever try this and find a method to preserve Dry Ice, please let me know. I'll take a picture next time to I carbonate it this way to show you!

Here's a Testing Method Recipe I made for a variation on JrB82's Recipe. It's meant for three 2 liter bottles. The "Batch A, B, C" are my three different flavors I tried. You can add what you want to replace these additional flavors.:

Brewing Note 1: The listed ingredients all should go in each individual pot except for the "flavor" ingredients (I.E Batch A, B, C)

Flavor Testing batch (1/3rds)

1 ½ Gallons of Water (divide into 3 containers)

Heat to 150. Place 1.25 (2 1/4 tsp per test batch) ounces chocolate malt mix for 10-15 min

After 10-15 minutes have passed while bringing to boil:

1/4 oz. Sarsaparilla

1/4 oz. Sassafras

Batch A: 1/4 oz wild cherry bark

Boil 30 min:

Nutmeg half of an 1/8 tsp

1/8 cinnamon stick

1/2 star anise

1/4 Vanilla bean - split

Boil last 5 min:

Batch B 1/8 T spearmint (2 1/4 tsp)

Batch C 1/8 T Vitamin C / Citric Acid (2 1/4 tsp)

Strain

After boil/strain. Before cooling

3/4 cups cane sugar + 2 T

1/12 cup maltodextrin (4 tsp)

1/12 cup Vanilla Extract (4 tsp)

=============================================================

Ending result for me was delicious except for the Citric Acid which made my Root Beer taste like Apple Cider!

@Crazy8
20190205_231640.jpg

Visible Fizz level after 3 days from Dry Ice Carbonation (sorry for picture being slightly fuzzy). Even after the fizz "looks" like its gone, it's definitely not gone!

Coming into the thread late and I didn't read all the previous posts. This is a "root beer" recipe I developed by combining a few different ones. You end up somewhere between a cream soda and a root beer flavor, the typical comment is "That's not root beer, it's good but..." So I started calling it prarie pop... This is a 1gallon recipe, steep the roots at 150-160 for a bit then remove (grain bag works great or transfer to another pot through a SS colendar) then dissolve the sugar in... I have been using Nottingham yeast to carb but I am working on getting my keg system setup so likely will try carbing in the keg on the next batch...
20160816_223658~01.jpeg

Has anyone noticed a significant taste difference between the finished product and storage period?

Gentlemen, it has been far too long since we corresponded on this lovely forum. How has your Root Beer endeavors been going? I myself am attempting to still grasp my head around yeast carbonation properly. I will have the opportunity for pasteurizing this time though so another experiment I go!

Gentlemen, it has been far too long since we corresponded on this lovely forum. How has your Root Beer endeavors been going? I myself am attempting to still grasp my head around yeast carbonation properly. I will have the opportunity for pasteurizing this time though so another experiment I go!

A bit OT (this is a recipe thread, after all), but you mentioned carbing, so here's a thought. Have you tried force-carbonating in PET bottles using a carbonator cap and CO2? I mix the root beer, pour into 1L or 2L pop bottles, and pressurize to about 30-40 psi. Put in the fridge, let it chill, then re-pressurize with CO2, back in the fridge. I have fully-carbed root beer in a day or two.

A bit OT (this is a recipe thread, after all), but you mentioned carbing, so here's a thought. Have you tried force-carbonating in PET bottles using a carbonator cap and CO2? I mix the root beer, pour into 1L or 2L pop bottles, and pressurize to about 30-40 psi. Put in the fridge, let it chill, then re-pressurize with CO2, back in the fridge. I have fully-carbed root beer in a day or two.

When the budget that includes (but not limited to) Housing, food, electricity, gas, and insurance allow me to purchase equipment like that then I shall certainly do so! I have a separate "Personal" spending that is slowly being added to as my budget allows. When I hit the mark, I'll get some good equipment.

Until then...try to figure out this yeast thing or dry ice.

What issues have you been having with yeast?

Essentially, I cannot seem to completely get it to work. For 1 gallon it's about 1/8th tsp. I have 1 Liter glass bottles with flip caps that nicely seal which takes 1/32 tsp (also known as a doink).

I place it in, shake it to make sure it mixes, then let it sit at room temperature (between 65-75 degrees) for a couple days. The problem is this carbonation has not only failed for me (producing very little head) but has also made my Root Beer taste disgusting. I'm hoping to pasteurize it this time to "maybe" get rid of some of the disgusting yeast taste.

I’m waiting on nins and peedles! Curious to see if there is a change of flavor post pasteurization.

I’m waiting on nins and peedles! Curious to see if there is a change of flavor post pasteurization.

Alas, while it killed the remaining yeast, the horrible medicine taste remains. Carbonation was also horrible. Ah well, guess I'll invest in some force carbonation in future

Sorry you had such terrible results. I haven’t made root beer from raw ingredients yet. But I haven’t had these problems before when using extracts.

Yeah, this is what some people call an "addiction". Addicts go to rehab so I find my self as being at some level, though I'm still very much a brewing virgin, a passionate hobbyist with a constant thirst for root beer. :)
You're only a virgin once and you can't unring that bell or unpop that hop.🤣

Hoping someone still views this thread - I love root beer, have tried a couple batches, but sasafras is tough to come by in my neck of the woods. Any good online shops to look at? I'm seeing about $10/oz where I look.

Hoping someone still views this thread - I love root beer, have tried a couple batches, but sasafras is tough to come by in my neck of the woods. Any good online shops to look at? I'm seeing about $10/oz where I look.
I've purchased from herbco.com before. They have cut and sifted and powder. Cut and sifted is easier to use, but it's very seasonal. It says they are out of stock right now and don't expect any in until 11/21. $22per 4oz or $55/lb.
The same was true last time I ordered, so I bought the powder. It's difficult to filter out, but I found that if I use alcohol to make an extract, it will settle out and I can decant off what I need.
I think I used about 1oz of powder in about 6 oz of 80 proof alcohol and I let that sit for about 3-4 weeks and it made a pretty decent extract to use at about 1oz per gallon.

Latest posts

Back