Yeast / beer suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretrichter

Reaction score
So im looking into the future for my next beer to brew. Need some suggestions.
I would love to brew a beer that is very similar to Blue Moon. Its my absolute favorite, and would like to brew one very similar, that also has that clean citric taste.

1) Could you please recommend a recipe

2) my basement is a constant 62*F. Could you suggest a good yeast.

3) I had an issue with my current brew that is going because It got up to 78*F, then down to 63*F...Im assuming that the same will happen. Any suggestions?

Check out this thread and scroll down and read posts from Wayne1. He worked for Coors as the Brewmaster of SandLot Brewery from 1995-1997. Supposedly it's the original Blue Moon recipe and everyone who's brewed it said it came out great.

blue moon clone

Even though you have a place where the air temp may be constant, fermentation creates heat and, despite its relatively high specific heat, air is not dense enough to scavenge away that heat effectively. Put your fermenter in a water bath to provide a large thermal mass for your beer to stay at a stabler temp.

This is a no no for a hefeweizen, but toss an ounce of citra or warrior in the secondary. That'll add a nice citrus flavor/aroma.

Actually my first "hefeweizen" used a cold smoked hops method I tried out. It was an interesting flavor, but probably not what you're looking for if you're into Blue Moon. The cold smoking method is in my signature. Here's a link to the recipe (extract...it was my second time brewing). Probably wouldn't be hard to translate into all-grain.

Latest posts

Back