Big Belgian suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
My buddy is on the Appalachian Trail right now. He's one of our Bengals tailgate crew, but is going to miss the first 2 games because he'll still be hiking. I'd like to get a big beer started that could be busted out for his 1st game back (October 21).

I'm thinking a strong dark or strong golden Belgian extract...I've found some recipes but was wondering if you guys had any special favorites.

I'd think I'd keep it to Dubble strength as I usually see recommendations of aging a Dark Strong for atleast 6 months if not a year. Even Dubbles are recommended to age for about 6 months.

Jamil has done an episode on his show about Belgian Dark Strong Ales. He seems to know what he is talking about given the number of awards his beers have won, so I'd recommend starting there.
The Jamil Show
Jamils Recipes

Craig

I brewed a dark strong not too long ago, it's still lagering. I used a pound of candi sugar, a pound of wheat, half pound of aromatic, half pound of caramunich, half pound of Special B, 2 pounds of Vienna, and 12 pounds of Pils. Did a huge, low, long mash (90 minutes at 147°), pitched a huge started of WLP550. 92% attenuation. Hallertau and Tettnager for bittering (29 IBUs), half-ounce of Saaz at 5 minutes. So far, it's tasty!

Just yesterday I just happened to break into one of my trappist quad's I did back in March. REAL nice. I don't recall offhand but I think it came to about 12%. You can really smell the alkeehaul. I am saving for Winter but just couldn't wait any longer and had to try one. Very nice, mild fruity flavors, no pucker at all. In another couple of months this will be awesome. It was a mini-mash trap quad from AHS. I think the only one they have..

dale

the_bird said:
I brewed a dark strong not too long ago, it's still lagering. I used a pound of candi sugar, a pound of wheat, half pound of aromatic, half pound of caramunich, half pound of Special B, 2 pounds of Vienna, and 12 pounds of Pils. Did a huge, low, long mash (90 minutes at 147°), pitched a huge started of WLP550. 92% attenuation. Hallertau and Tettnager for bittering (29 IBUs), half-ounce of Saaz at 5 minutes. So far, it's tasty!
god, that sounds awesome. can u send me a bottle after it's aged a bit? ;)

Back