Jacobite Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordonT

Reaction score
Research on this beer showed that the ingredients and percentages are fairly well known based on information from the Traquair House brewery. I was not sure about how much spice should be added and whether one batch or two so I erred on the low side. Can always add more later.

17 1/4 lbs Maris Otter
10 oz 120 Crystal
6 oz Victory Malt - this is my addition, not what is reported by the brewery
2 oz Roast Barley

2 oz Fuggles
3/4 oz crushed Coriander seed
2 packages Windsor yeast

Mashed at 140 F for 20 minutes, 150 for 30 and 158 for 30. First runnings (about 1 gallon) were caramelized by cooking down on the stove. I took the initial volume down to just under 1/2.

FWH with 2/3 of an ounce of Fuggles. Added the rest when the hot break was achieved.

A very full rolling boil for close to 2 hours until I was down to 6 gallons. Coriander was added for the last 5 minutes. Cooled and put into a carboy, added 2 packages of Windsor. Later that evening I divided this into 2 carboys as the ferment was so vigorous it was about to pop the airlock.

This is still in primary but everything looks perfect so far. Color was a very deep bronze, almost black. Creamy off white head. Once this is in the keg I'll taste test to see how the corinader addition is showing up. It will be easy enough at that point to 'dry hop' it with more coriander if required.

I love this beer but it is always very expensive to buy and comes in very small bottles. Lets hope my information and methods are all correct and this turns out to be a Jacobite Bombshell.

Subscribed.

What are your fermenting temps?

Primary and secondary roughly 68F. I have tasted this from secondary and the FWH comes through very nicely. Not enough coriander to be true to the original though. I may try 'dry hopping' it with another 1/2 - 1 oz of crushed seeds.

Jacobite is not a bitter beer and I think with the drying out that aging brings this will be on the money. Right now it borders on slightly sweet so adjust your own hopping accordingly. I'm fine with waiting a couple months.

Even without these minor adjustments this is already a great beer.

I lagered this at 42F for 2 weeks and tasted it several times over that period. There is a very pleasant licorice taste to it that comes from the corinader blending with the great malt flavour. The keg is now sitting at room temperature where I'm planning to leave it for at least 2 months. This is a fantastic beer! Everyone who has tried it so far wants more. With 2 more months age on it I'm pretty sure the spicing will be perfect along with the great malt it already has. At that point we'll have a side by side tasting and see how close it is. Whether it is the perfect clone or not this is a great enjoyable Scotch Ale.

Any update as to how this turned out?

I've been drinking this for a while now and it is very close to the original. To get even closer i will change two things next time.

Bittering hops can be upped as this did turn out a touch too sweet. I will add another half ounce, it could stand another full oz. if you like your beers bitter.

The coriander is not quite prominent enough. I will bump that up to at least a full oz. I never did dry spice it but that's an option anyone making this can use if you want to be conservative.

GordonT said:
I've been drinking this for a while now and it is very close to the original. To get even closer i will change two things next time.

Bittering hops can be upped as this did turn out a touch too sweet. I will add another half ounce, it could stand another full oz. if you like your beers bitter.

The coriander is not quite prominent enough. I will bump that up to at least a full oz. I never did dry spice it but that's an option anyone making this can use if you want to be conservative.

Thanks!!

Back