I Need a Recipe - Hefeweizen w/ Briess LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BookofNick

Reaction score
Okay, so this will be my third brew. Brewing this later this week with my brother in law. He's never done it. My first was a Mr. Beer IPA - Turned out good. Second was an "imperial stout" (which you forum members say will bomb, but I just bottled and the flat stuff tasted good to me).

Here's what I've bought already: 6.6 lbs briess Bavarian Wheat LME, White Labs wpl300 yeast.

What's a good 5 gal recipe using my LME that's on the simple side? What should I add? Honey? Fruit? What kind of hops?

I like sweet, and I like high alcohol. AND I'm going to the supply store tomorrow :rockin:

Thanks, guys!

This is a recipe I have used for an extract Hefe. It makes a very good Hefeiweizen.
It has an ABV 5.7

8 oz. Carapils- Steep at 155° for 30 minutes.

6 lb. Wheat liquid malt extract,
1 lb. of Light DME
1 oz. Tettnang hops Boil for 60 minutes

If you want you beer a bit lighter you could put 2-3 lbs. of LME in at the beginning of the boil and the the other LME at 30 minutes.

This is a recipe I have used for an extract Hefe. It makes a very good Hefeiweizen.
It has an ABV 5.7

8 oz. Carapils- Steep at 155° for 30 minutes.

6 lb. Wheat liquid malt extract,
1 lb. of Light DME
1 oz. Tettnang hops Boil for 60 minutes

If you want you beer a bit lighter you could put 2-3 lbs. of LME in at the beginning of the boil and the the other LME at 30 minutes.

Thanks! Do I steep the malt before adding the liquid extract?

Also when do I add hops? After adding the LME?

Sorry the late reply.
1. Steep grains at 155° for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes pull take the kettle off the heat, pull out grain bag out and let drain.
3. After draining grains toss the out.
4. With kettle still off the heat add the LME and stir very well until thoroughly mixed. You will scorch the LME that is left in the bottom of the kettle if not well mixed.
5. Put kettle back on heat and bring wort to a rolling boil.
6. Once your wort is rolling add the hops and start your timer for 60 minutes.

Back