What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished the clean up from a brew day.
My first 5 gallon all grain(BIAB)
Took an Amber Wheat recipe that I had done a 3 gallon batch of, and changed the hops to that of a Hoppy Wheat Ale.
Used the Wyeast 1056 American Ale.
Hallertauer, Cascade and Centennial hops.

Lemme see...Went and smelled my airlock on the Magical Mystery Brew as it is busily passing gas and it smells WONDERFUL! :p

Then I bottled up batch #6 St Patrick's Irish Stout a Mr Beer extract kit. Brewed using nottingham yeast instead of supplied yeast..Have also noticed that I am having the tendency of brewing dark beers..Whats up with that? LOL

Gotta clean up after my first AG brew yesterday. The porter is blowing Co2 & krausen since early this morning. Nothing like the sound of a blow off in the morning! :rockin:

View attachment 334440

View attachment 334441

I bought a jigsaw to make the square holes for the PIDs in my new panel. Went pretty well, largely recovered from a disastrous attempt to use a spade bit to make starter holes through the plastic.

Also got the holes made for the element outlets. One of those single 240v 20a outlets fits perfectly in a 1.5" hole using a gasket removed from a heating element.

I also stocked up on specialty grains for a coffee stout, ESB and an IPA

Is that blood on the receptacle on the second picture? What kind of spade bit drilling were you doing? You aren't supposed to hold the bit steady with your soft fleshy fingers.

Haha. That's red sharpie from marking the layout. The spade bit was used for the top left PID hole. You can see the mark in the plastic at the bottom left hand side.

Ironic that the spade bits go through aluminium like hot butter but this plastic made their match. Thankfully I have some punches which got used for the LED and switch holes and the RTD connector holes so just a standard bit to drill the pilot holes for those.

Made my own pale ale recipe and brewed it for the first time. Pretty smooth brew day that finished before the wife got home :rockin:

Cleaned up about half a keg of bourbon vanilla oatmeal stout from the bottom of my keezer that somehow leaked...First and hopefully last time for that.

Sniffed my airlock on the fermentor containing my Magical Mystery Brew! :p Smells, well, like crap, but that means the yeasties are still busy!:D

Listened to the wonderful sound of a bubbling blow off tube. Stared longingly at my brew equipment because I had to work today instead of spending time making more delicious beer.

Initial fermentation finished up on my AG porter today, so I switched out the blow-off for an airlock.

We're on the same brewing schedule apparently... Lol. My Belgian porter just gave up the ghost on primary, so it's just riding it out to finish up.

Ordered the 4-pack keg special that AIH is having.:) Already planning expansion and haven't drilled the first hole on my kegerator!LMAO

Came home today to see my Dunkelweizen bubbling away in the fermenter. Bubbles galore overflowing from the airlock...so I got to put my homemade blowoff tube to use for the first time. My favorite part of this hobby is still to sit in my living room serenaded by the bubbling sounds of a good fermentation lol

Next is figuring out where I'm going to get a Belgian Tripel extract kit. I want to get that going so I can put my secondary fermenter to use.

That is very cool! May do something like that for the manifold in my tun... is that SS wire? What gauge? I do wonder if it will make cleanup more difficult.....

I'm not sure about clean up, since I've only had the pleasure of cleaning mine once and basically just scooped as much out with a cup and then hosed he rest out.

As far as the wire, I honestly don't know if it'll be alright or not. It's 17 gauge aluminum electric fence wire haha. I soaked it in vinegar and then wiped them clean prior to putting it all together. Then I soaked everything in boiling water.

My thoughts are that it won't rust, we boil our wort in it and we put our beer in cans of it.

Indirectly for beer, but I set up the twine for my hops to grow on, as well as an automatic watering system.

Bottled a one gallon batch, racked six gallon onto some gelatin to clear, washed the yeast from said six gallon batch.

Here on day 12 of fermentation for my APA, started a temperature ramp down to 60F. Will leave it there for two days to get some flocculation, and then harvest thru the dump valve for the brew I'm doing on Sunday.

Bottled 5 gallons of belgian blond, dry hopped a black IPA and took a gravity reading of my dry stout. It's still too high!!

Got my girlfriend's father stoked to brew some beer. But what's even better, is that he wants to "make it worth his wild" and brew 10 gallons. So we're gonna split a 10 gallon batch of cream of 3 Crops! Now I've got to find him all the gear. Always a good time!

Checked on my Irish Stout I put in secondary on 1/30..Nice ring of krausen<sp?> on top..Didn't really expect that! Checked on my Magical Mystery Brew, airlock is quiet now, went into primary on 1/30, so has some more time to go then it goes into secondary Saturday..Looks like the Irish Stout will be my 1st batch into a keg(IF I remember to get the CO2 canister filled!LOL)...

Bottled 2.5 gallons of "Lizzard Warning Wit" my first BIAB AG brew. And took a gravity reading on a chocolate milk stout.

image.jpg

Checked my Mia's Witty Wit temp, it took a bit to ramp up, but whoa Nelly fermentation is going off crazy..had to drop a degree.

Or maybe even a Belgian quadzilla? Took a 1st FG on the AG porter just now. Got a 1.014 @ 62.9F with S-04. Gettin' really close.

The Belgian porter I had going at the same time just went into bottles this morning! Now I'm brewing a dubbel to make use of this lovely yeast cake

Back