3 hour lag time!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
Brewed my Northern Brewer caribou slobber brown this morning. Pitched the Wyeast 1332 from my 1.5 liter starter I made on tuesday. Used some Wyeast yeast nutrient during the boil. Pitched my yeast at 11:00 and threw my fermenter in my swamp cooler @ 68 degrees. Got done mowing the grass about 2 and went to check the temp of my swamp cooler and noticed airlock activity. After only 3 hours!!!!! Starters and yeast nutrient are going to be staples in my brew process from now on.

Without a doubt, I love doing starters. Anymore, I get nervous when I don't see activity within 3 hours of pitching.

Quick lag times are not necessarily a good thing. It may actually be stressing the yeast, since they aren't taking the appropriate time to acclimate to the wort environment and uptake the essential nutrients for optimal health.

It's probably not that big of a deal, but you might be overpitching or pitching too warm. Just some things to think about.

Quick lag times are not necessarily a good thing. It may actually be stressing the yeast, since they aren't taking the appropriate time to acclimate to the wort environment and uptake the essential nutrients for optimal health.

It's probably not that big of a deal, but you might be overpitching or pitching too warm. Just some things to think about.

Definitely not to warm. Pitched at 70 degrees. Don't think I overpitched either. According to Mr. Malty I needed a 1.9 liter starter. I only pitched a 1.5 liter starter. It was a pretty active starter though. I see what your saying though and appreciate the input.

It's possible that there isnt enough O2 in the wort too. That is a bit quick to go from aerobic to anaerobic. You do want the yeast to reproduce for a while.

+1

I always like to have mine start quick. At 12 hours, I like to know there is some activity going on. But at 3 hours, it is too soon. The yeast need time to reproduce, and during that time they are creating the building blocks for the esters they are going to create. If you start too quick, you will lose some of the yeast flavors and risk creating fusel alcohols.

As pseudo noted, a quick start is usually a sign of over-pitching or a high pitching temperature.

I've never gotten fusels & other nasty off flavors from vigorous starters before. fusels come from high pitch temps that remain high for even a day or 2. And I only use 1.5C starters with 1/4C DME to get them going well 3-6 hours before pitching. I even used 2tsp dextrose in the same amount of water for re-hydrating. The sugar water one started bubbling in 9 hours that I noticed. I'd awoke in the wee hours & decided to check on it. It was bubbling like a US-05,quick-n-steady.
The starters were starting to bubble slowly by 6or 7 AM.
So,in the op's case,I'd say that big starter had them reproducing sufficiently so as not to need as much reproduction time when pitched. It seems to have been close to th right #'s already. Something to think about,anyway.:mug:

Latest posts

Back