American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can get hold of Simcoe and Amarillo, but not Warrior - do you think using Nugget would be an adequate substitute?

I can get hold of Simcoe and Amarillo, but not Warrior - do you think using Nugget would be an adequate substitute?

IMO, bittering additions are all about AA%. The Nugget should be an acceptable substitute. The real stars of the show are the Simcoe & Amarillo...

Wow, great thread! I was having a pint of DFH 60 last night, thinking 'I need to make a beer just like this!'....I saw the extract version, but is there a PM version as well? 4 lbs is my standard grain bill.

I just ran the recipe through ProMash and I think you can go with 4 pounds of 2 row and 6 oz. of Maris Otter in the mash. At 75% efficiency, you would need 5 pounds of light dried malt extract. The rest of the recipe would be the same as the extract version. If your efficiency is less than 75%, add another 1/2 pound of DME.

That sounds about right to me, too.

Incidently, we were drinking this at NHC, and OlllllO's SWMBO told me that she really loved this beer. I'm still in Ohio, and IPA-less, so I need to brew this fairly soon again when I get home!

I am into my second case of this recipe. It is probably the finest beer I have made to date. Very flavorful. My FG was a bit low, though, so I ended up around 8% abv. Even with that it has a nice big mouthfeel and the head retention and lacing are just amazing. Kudos to Yooper.

My first AG started as a clone of DFH 60 min IPA, from the recipe in Mr. Calagione's "Exteme Brewing" book that was converted from extract. OG 1.067 and transferred to secondary at 1.015, using almost the exact grain bill as stated in OP. The only major difference that I can see is the recipe called for Wyeast 1187 Ringwood.

My first AG started as a clone of DFH 60 min IPA, from the recipe in Mr. Calagione's "Exteme Brewing" book that was converted from extract. OG 1.067 and transferred to secondary at 1.015, using almost the exact grain bill as stated in OP. The only major difference that I can see is the recipe called for Wyeast 1187 Ringwood.

And the hops are different- no palisade hops in this recipe. The grain bill is almost all 2-row, except for a few ounces of amber malt. I might use aromatic malt next time instead of the amber malt.

These 167 posts, while absorbing my entire lunch break (and then some) have made my day.

I brewed two different brews this weekend (a summer ale and an imperial stout). This is my first summer in a new apt and I realized that in order to get my fermentation temp correct (ie, below 83) I need to ferment them in my bedroom with the AC turned on low, all day long. I figured, if I am wasting that much electricity on two brews, why not throw a third brew in the mix as well, and take advantage of the AC while it is on, as I doubt my electricity bill will allow me to brew again this summer if the heat keeps up. IPAs are my favorite type of beer, and while I have been playing around with my own recipes and variations for a while, I decided I would go on here and find an IPA recipe that sounded good. And DFH60 is probably one of my favorite go-to IPAs. So this is perfect!

To make it even better, my last two batches were both PM (I only have a 5 gallon brew pot) and reading through these posts it seems I will just do the DME version and not waste the time and energy doing a PM, as it probably will not make too significant of a difference. While I love doing PM and hope to eventually have space/equipment for AG, it will be nice to do a simpler brew after the last two.

Now I just need to see what hops I have in my freezer, and hope that between my freezer and my LHBS I can get the Simcoe and the Amarillo....

Thanks!!!

A quick question...

Doing a DME version with a 3 gallon boil, would you recommend throwing the majority of the DME in at the end, to avoid carmelization and to maximize hop efficiency? Or would you recommend putting it all in at the beginning, because the late addition will lower the temperature and you will have to wait a bit for it to come back to a boil, also having potential consequences on hop utilization...

I wasn't sure if your hop modifications in post 29 were reflecting the lower hop utilizations due to the denser boil, or if they were just a reflection of other general hop utilization differences that occur between AG and extract...

Thanks!

Does anyone think there would be too many flavors going on if I used Centennial and Cascade in the boil (so I can brew tonight because I am impatient) and then use Simcoe and Amarillo in the dry-hopping, since I can order them today and they will be here in time for the secondary?

Does anyone think there would be too many flavors going on if I used Centennial and Cascade in the boil (so I can brew tonight because I am impatient) and then use Simcoe and Amarillo in the dry-hopping, since I can order them today and they will be here in time for the secondary?

Nope. That is almost exactly what I did for my IPA (which was a hybrid of Yooper's 60 min and another IPA recipe I found), and it turned out FANTASTIC. I think I used Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo in the boil, and then dry-hopped every week for 3 weeks with Cascade and Simcoe. Turned out AMAZING.

That's good to hear... it means I am going to be brewing tonight! It turns out that my LHBS has amarillo in, so I am going to boil with Warrior/nugget/galena (whatever they have that is a high AA clean bitter) and amarillo and centennial, and I am going to dry hop with amarillo and simcoe.

Hmmm... I hopped in my boil with 9.9 Centennial as my bitter (up the quantity to reach same IBU) as well as in place of Simcoe, and then Amarillo as normal. Have Simcoe and more Amarillo coming in mail for dry hopping.

Now it is sitting in my fermenting bucket, and I am somewhat concerned. I am fermenting in my bedroom with Ac on, and have 10 other gallons going right now. Room seems to be staying between 64 - 68 degrees. I actually had this guy in a water bath, and it had a temp of 62 when I pitched my yeast starter, 24 hours ago. Fermentation has started but it is oh so much slower than i am used to. I know I just need to wait it out, let it hang out a while, and if it really seem stuck and in a week's time or so the gravity is still somewhat obscene just kick up the temp a few degrees, (which I am planning on doing anyway once everything is transferred to secondary and the majority of opportunities for off flavors have ceased). Very worst case and I would need to throw some more yeast on, but I dont think that is going to be a necessity, we will see...

Hmmm... I hopped in my boil with 9.9 Centennial as my bitter (up the quantity to reach same IBU) as well as in place of Simcoe, and then Amarillo as normal. Have Simcoe and more Amarillo coming in mail for dry hopping.

Now it is sitting in my fermenting bucket, and I am somewhat concerned. I am fermenting in my bedroom with Ac on, and have 10 other gallons going right now. Room seems to be staying between 64 - 68 degrees. I actually had this guy in a water bath, and it had a temp of 62 when I pitched my yeast starter, 24 hours ago. Fermentation has started but it is oh so much slower than i am used to. I know I just need to wait it out, let it hang out a while, and if it really seem stuck and in a week's time or so the gravity is still somewhat obscene just kick up the temp a few degrees, (which I am planning on doing anyway once everything is transferred to secondary and the majority of opportunities for off flavors have ceased). Very worst case and I would need to throw some more yeast on, but I dont think that is going to be a necessity, we will see...

Did it finish up for you? Just wondering how it's turning out.

I just bottled this yesterday. it seemed to finish nicely, with a final gravity of 1.021, which is a little sweeter than I would have wanted but not too bad to balance the 7.5% ABV and is actually dead on with what BeerSmith predicted.

Because I overloaded with Centennial on the front end this has a BIG grapefruit and citrus nose. It smells absolutely delicious.

Thanks Yooper!

I just cracked my Party Pig tonight. Absolutely delicious!

My one issue is that it seems undercarbonated, but I am not surprised. My last time using the Party Pigs my beer was ridiculously over carbonated, so I am trying to work out just how much priming sugar is needed (i really need to get me some cornies).

It has only been bottle conditioning for 9 days, and that at 65 degrees or so, before going in the fridge. So i took it out to room temp adn will leave it there a few days, and then try again. And the 2 dozen bottles will most likely be better carbonated.

But, aside from that, it is great. The hop aroma and flavor are superb, very citrus and grapfruity from the abundance of Centennial, but amazing. It is sweeter than I wanted, in part because the FG was a bit higher than I wanted, thank you DME, but it is not viscous nor coyingly sweet. The bitterness is actually well balanced with the residual sweetness and it balances out very very well. I am hoping it will carb a little more, but even if it doesnt I will be happy with it. (And it does have some carbonation, but not as much as I wanted). I actually think it is the best beer that I have ever brewed... well, I have 4 other batches in various stages right now that have yet to be tasted... but of all the beer I have brewed and tasted, it is at the very top of the list. Thanks Yooper!

I tried this as my first all-grain, and I think I used too much sparge water. My final yield into the fermenter was almost 6 gallons. Is this going to be as watery as I think it will?

Let me just say that I have finished off 3 gallons of my batch of this, and I am about to brew another batch, to make sure it is continuous... I will switch to AG this time, but I might keep my hop bill, which was slightly different than Yooper's due to necessity and impatience, because it was so delicious...

I brewed Yooper's AG recipe and it is freakin' awesome!!! OG was 1.072 and FG was 1.013, so I ended up with 7.71% ABV. That batch lasted less than 2 weeks!
I also brewed another batch 2 weeks after and followed the recipe in the "Extreme Brewing" book by the owner of DFH that was converted from extract.
OG 1.066 and FG 1.015 at 6.66% ABV. Honestly, everyone has said that Yooper's version is closer to the original and better.... actually, everyone who has tried the first one loves it, hence why I am already out of it!
This will have to be a 10 gal batch next time around.
EXCELLENT job Yooper! Thank you...

Brewed this as my second batch (extract version) and it was great. Possible my favorite IPA. Turned out slightly hoppier than the original DFH but I don't mind that one bit. I need to restrain myself from brewing this every batch...

so anyone try oaking? My guess is it would hurt that beautiful hop flavor, and the time it would take to age would as well, but curiousity always gets the best of me

You could oak and dry hop after pulling it off of the oak, (or if youre in a barrel and not on chips dry hop for the last 10 days in the barrel.) That might preserve the upfront hoppiness a little more. I know when I brewed this last it was 7.5 ABV, and oaking in a bourbon barrel might have been a very nice touch. The two oaked IIPAs I had were both very nice, and if you work a little to preserve the up front hops on this it would probably serve this beer well.

(It wouldnt be a DFH60 clone, at that point... but the way I brew it, it isnt a DFH60 clone anyway, more like an "inspired by a DFH60 clone"...)

I was going to do a 10 gal this time around, but the idea of oaking it is a bit intriguing.
I may have to split it up into two and oak one to compare.

"(It wouldnt be a DFH60 clone, at that point... but the way I brew it, it isnt a DFH60 clone anyway, more like an "inspired by a DFH60 clone"...)"

thats what came to mind after page 10. So many inspirations with the clone as the starting point, why not? I guess this would be off topic though, but I think Im gonna try 1 oz. of oak chips (sans the bourbon) in my next one.

"(It wouldnt be a DFH60 clone, at that point... but the way I brew it, it isnt a DFH60 clone anyway, more like an "inspired by a DFH60 clone"...)"

thats what came to mind after page 10. So many inspirations with the clone as the starting point, why not? I guess this would be off topic though, but I think Im gonna try 1 oz. of oak chips (sans the bourbon) in my next one.

How about make sure and let me know how it goes. I am not going to be able to do a 10 gal yet. My second keg is not ready to take over duties as my MLT and my cooler is only 12 gal. After some brief calculations, I came to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to shoehorn 30+ lbs of grain and 10 gallons of water in it.... so 5 gal it is for now and I don't want to take a chance of screwing up a whole batch.

So I did the extract version of this with specialty grains. The water started at 150 and my heat was too high and got up to 160. I killed the heat and it slowly went back down. Is 160 going to alter this brew too much? I took my OG and it was 1.05 but I think there was some water on the top and I should have mixed it more. Also, I didn't spin the hydro to get it off the sides.

So I did the extract version of this with specialty grains. The water started at 150 and my heat was too high and got up to 160. I killed the heat and it slowly went back down. Is 160 going to alter this brew too much? I took my OG and it was 1.05 but I think there was some water on the top and I should have mixed it more. Also, I didn't spin the hydro to get it off the sides.

No, 160 won't harm the specialty grains, so don't worry!

Just took my first sample of this before moving from primary to secondary. Color looks great and its starting to clear up quite nicely. Oh, and the taste, AMAZING!!! This recipe (extract) is a winner. Thanks Yoops!

Yooper, just racked this over to secondary to dry hop. IT TASTED GREAT! I can't wait until some real hop aroma comes through on it.

Mine went from 1.069 to 1.009 so its right at 8%. I wanted it a little more malty, but what are you gonna do?

This is a great brew!

Just transferred my last batch to the keg for the dry-hopping. Hooked it up to the gas and pulled a little taste this morning to see how it's coming along. Less than 12 hours on the dry-hop and the aroma is fantastic. :)

Now if I can keep my paws off it long enough for the aroma to fully develop and hit the appropriate level of carbonation, that would be an accomplishment!

Hey everyone, n00b question here re: my first AG brew on Saturday. I'm going to do this recipe as a 5 gallon batch. I'm going to mash in with 1.25 qt water/lb of grain (13 lbs pale malt and 6 oz maris otter), and I'm not sure how much sparge water to use - I have a 7.5 gallon kettle. Thanks for any and all help!

Hey everyone, n00b question here re: my first AG brew on Saturday. I'm going to do this recipe as a 5 gallon batch. I'm going to mash in with 1.25 qt water/lb of grain (13 lbs pale malt and 6 oz maris otter), and I'm not sure how much sparge water to use - I have a 7.5 gallon kettle. Thanks for any and all help!

When I do it, I use the same 1.25 quarts/pound, and then I sparge with about 4.5 gallons to reach my boil volume of 6 gallons. I also have a 30 quart pot! I'd plan on having about 6 gallons available for the sparge, though, just in case you have more dead space in your MLT or if your grain absorbs more than you think it will.

Do you have Beersmith? If you do, I can send you the file.

I just mashed this one in about 15 minutes ago! I really like the DFH60, so I'm sure I'll be brewing more of this in the future too. I had to sub Columbus for the Warrior and I'm using US-05 yeast. Thanks for the recipe Yooper!

I pitched two packs, straight from the fridge. Just sprinkled it on.
The airlock is rockin' as of right now!:ban:

Back