Heat up the mash in a cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer75

Reaction score
So i'm reading this recipe and it says that after the 60 minute mash is complete to raise the temperature to 168 degrees and then sparge with 170 degree water. However since the mash tun is a cooler there is no way to just turn on the burner and heat it up. So since I cannot perform this step will the recipe be screwed up?

heat up a small amount of strike water and add it to your mash, be careful not to add too much water. You could also drain a small amount of wort and heat that up and add it back if you don't hit your target temp the first time.
Good Luck
Brew on!!

Just have your 170F sparge water handy and start sparging with it - you'll be fine.

I usually just hold the mash at 154 and then either fly or batch sparge. And..actually, BeerSmith tells me to heat my sparge water to 194, which, when mixed with the 154 mash will balance out at 170.

Its just a mashout temp...don't worry about it. sparge at 170F.

for stepped mashes you just dough in thicker than normal, then use a calculator to see how much boiling water is needed to raise you to the next step.

not to mention decoction mash

Since you are preforming batch sparge, heat up the same amount of water used to strike to about 185 or whatever the calculator tells you. Drain the mash and pour in this hot water to get the grain between 168 and 170. Do not go over 170, otherwise you get grain husk astringency.

I had this same question a few months ago, if you decide to do a mashout, subtract the amount of water for the mashout from your sparge water, that was unclear to me before talking to the pros.

Back