For those wonder about lifespan of crushed grain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick

Reaction score
I just kegged the two Pilsen/Vienna/Wheat/Rye beers this morning. I did a taste test on with what I used to take final gravity readings.

Now the Vienna I used in the recipe was crushed about 2 months before brewing. It was stored in a paper bag at room temperature.

Both beers taste fantastic, and they are not even carbed yet. They should be great after they are carbed up.:mug:

I am not saying this is the way to store crushed grain, just relaying one of my experiences.;)

My son was forced to keep two batches of crushed grains (still in Midwest's bags) because of a move that he had to make earlier than scheduled. It was over six months before he brewed. I tasted both of the resulting batches, and there was NOTHING wrong with either.

As long as it is kept dry and sealed it should keep for just as long as uncrushed. When you allow it to be exposed to any elements it is going to turn quicker crushed or not.

I used to buy several recipe batches at a time from an online homebrew store. Sometimes the last batch wouldn't be made for 3 months. The grain never had a problem sitting in my basement sealed and crushed for that long. Now I buy grain in bulk and crush it myself. :)

Back