Proofing yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
Is it advisable to proof the yeast you will be using to make your beer?

I make a lot of bread, and when you make bread, yeast *must* be proofed with warm water and some sugar before hand, otherwise it won't rise at all.

Is this the same for beer? I have just put my first bunch into bottles and my second bunch into a secondary carboy, and both of them I used dry yeast in them. The first was a Muntons continental lager kit, and the other was just some liquid extract, hops, and yeast. I proofed both of those yeasts for a few mnutes until it was foamy while the wort cooled off.

Is proofing the yeast going to give off flavours or anything weird? I can't see any reason why proofing wouldn't be a good idea, but thought I should ask anyways if the yeast is better off sitting in the fermenter a bit first before starting to multiply/eat.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks.

Seems like me proofing with table sugar is a bad idea. I will only re-hydrate from now on.

This place, and you people, are a wealth of information!

And in the future I promise to search the forums before asking questions. Scout's honour.

Latest posts

Back