Tips for beginners: Mark your measures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anchorandoak

Reaction score
Okay, when I first started brewing I had a very hard time knowing how much beer was fermenting in my carboy and when I started doing all-grain I had a very difficult time knowing how much wort I had in my kettle before I transferred to my carboy. Why does this matter? Well, if you have no idea how much you have fermenting and you don't keg your beer, then how do you know how to properly batch-prime your beer? (trust me this is important, if you don't think it is then wait until you have a hiroshima bottle bomb go off in your house). This is just one example of course. I have some tips you guys.

-Have a carboy? I have a pitcher I bought from the dollar store that measures up to 1 gallon. Pour on gallon in and mark it with a sharpie. Pour another gallon and mark it with a sharpie. This will let you know how much beer you have in your fermenter.

-When you are boiling your wort it may be necessary to see how much you have in your kettle. If you don't have a fancy kettle that lets you see this information, then take whatever stirring-implement you use and make it a measuring stick as well! take your kettle, fill it with one gallon of water and mark it (I use a wooden spoon so it's easy-I carve a notch in it). Mark the gallons on your spoon so that when you touch it to the bottom you can see how much your boiling. And if you have a desired post-boil volume and you start to fall below it, add some water during the boil to get up to where you want to be (this ensures that the water you add also ends up being boiled)

This may seem like pointless information but once I figured this out it helped me a ton!

fatbastard, thanks! I made so many mistakes along the way that I'd be a jerk not to share them

You just wanted to say "fatbastard", eh?
:D

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I'm doing my first brew this weekend...but will have my stir/spoon notched/marked!

You just wanted to say "fatbastard", eh?
:D

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I'm doing my first brew this weekend...but will have my stir/spoon notched/marked!

True. I did want to say it. haha.

But if this advice helps you, then you should name your beer after me. Thank you in advance.

I kinda made a few of those marks when brewing our first batch last week. Another one that really helped me was I filled my brew pot just like a 2.5 gal partial boil and then set it in the laundry sink and then filled that sink up till it was above the level of the fake wort and the pot was just getting buoyant and marked the level on the inside of the sink. Made it real easy to know just how much water to add when cooling the wort.

I use an old wooden mash paddle for taking measurements in 2 different size kettles. one side of the paddle is marked in 1 gallon increments for the one kettle and the other side marked for the other

Latest posts

Back