HELP me fix one of my March Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronik

Reaction score
One of my March pumps crapped out on me. I hear a faint buzz from the motor, but the motor won't spin. I took it a part, no clogs. It's new and only been used a few times. It came pre-wired, so the wiring should be fine. Any ideas?

Will the motor run with the pump head disassembled? Sometimes the pump head can get a little gunked up, making the rotor stick. The magnetic coupling is strong enough to keep the motor from getting started. The solution is to thoroughly clean everything and make sure that the rotor spins freely.

Never had a march pump.
Does it have an impeller? If so, does it turn freely?
Have you ran it dry?
Just because it came prewired, doesn't mean it was wired correctly.
Plug it in, and shake it, or tap it on something?

Ya, the motor will spin by hand, but not on its own. Won't turn with the head off, power on. Haven't run it dry. It work fine when I got it, so I believe its wired correctly, otherwise it would have never worked.

Ya, the motor will spin by hand, but not on its own. Won't turn with the head off, power on. Haven't run it dry. It work fine when I got it, so I believe its wired correctly, otherwise it would have never worked.

If you power it up and give the drive shaft a spin by hand does it run?

Its the 809 HS 120v. When I power it on with the head off, it just hums, I try to spin it by hand, and it will turn, but not on its own. I feel some resistance turning it by hand...It worked fine when I brew 2 weeks ago, I went to brew tonight, and now it won't work. Luckily I can brew with just one pump...

Sounds to me like one of the windings has shorted out.
With the pump unwired, measure the resistance from the black wire to white, black to green, and white to green. Let us know what the measurements are.

If you have a local well/pull pump place they might be able to rewind it for you, or fix any other issue that may be wrong with it. It may cost more than the pump though so be prepared.

I'll mess with it a lil more over the next few days, to see if I can fix it. I got it in the last few months, so I'll just return it if I can't figure it out...Was hoping it was a simple fix, I could do myself...Now I gotta get back to BREWING, the wort is boiling...in goes the hops.

Back