Sanitizers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkenvere

Reaction score
Ive been using SO2 as a sanitizer ( Potassium Metabisulphite) for making wine for 12 years now. I clean with tons of hot water using special bottle washer then I rinse with SO2. I don't rinse after that, just put them in the drying tower. Whats a standard practice for beer. Would leaving the SO2 kill the priming action??

wikipedia.org said:
The powder is difficult to use for small batches of wine or beer. This is because it inhibits the action of all yeasts; wine yeasts are just more resistant than other microorganisms. If too much potassium metabisulfite is added it will result in a 'stuck' fermentation. The typical amount is around 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons. So for batches smaller than this Campden tablets are normally used.
But what that is talking about is adding the potassium metabisulphite in with the wine or beer as an additive. I'm sure rinsing with it would be fine since I doubt it would kill the yeast with such a small quantity of it.

Back