O Rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus

Reaction score
I am wanting to change the o rings on my ball lock corny.
Is there a trick to get the old ones off of there? Just wondering before I go crazy trying to get them off.

I just use a small screwdriver to get underneath. Take care not to scratch into the post but they come off pretty easily. The dip tube and lid o-rings are even easier.

I used a razor blade to get under them and free them up. For the dip tube I put my arm in the keg grabbed the tube and pulled up while twisting, tight fit. But I'm pin lock although I can't see that being any difference here.

When I rebuilt my keg I just got the tip of an exacto blade under the o-ring and cut it off. A little bit of keg lube and the new rings go on without a fight.

Thanks everyone. Getting them on should be no problem. Wanted to make sure that I couldnt hurt anything taking them off.

There is one on the dip tube? I dont see it.

if you are removing them for good then cutting shouldn't be a problem. I once read someone say (maybe it was yoop) that you can pinch the post rings a bit and get a fork tine underneath.

You have to take the posts off to remove the dip tubes and get to those o-rings. They are a smaller diameter than the ones on the posts.

Oh. Ok. I will take care of that also then. Guess just un-screw the posts and I should see them.

youtube has some good videos on breaking down and cleaning cornies.

If you need a 7/8th 12-point star wrench check with ace hardware or autozone. If you go with a socket make sure it's deep enough for the post.

Oh. Ok. I will take care of that also then. Guess just un-screw the posts and I should see them.

Unscrew the posts and remove the long and short diptubes and you'll see the o-rings at the top of each diptube. Just be sure to replace the posts and diptubes on the respective in and out holes, mixing the posts up can cause you a major headache as they are NOT identical.

Back