The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arg been too busy to catch any of the Champions games, I think an all-German final wouldn't be all bad. Bundesliga has been entertaining and carries some top talent. Still think Madrid has a good shot through and wouldn't kick that game outa bed for eating crackers either. So it’ll be a good final either way. :rockin:

As for Mr. chompy, I think 10 games is a fitting punishment on top of the club fine.

Still don’t think he’ll go anywhere this summer, but I’d bet out of England before City or even Arsenal would make an offer.

Rodgers seems pretty pissed about the 10 game ban

seems like they go alot easier on english players

"The Liverpool manager said Suárez's persecution complex stemmed from the inconsistencies in an FA disciplinary process that enabled Jermain Defoe to escape with a yellow card for biting Javier Mascherano in 2006 and saw the Chester City defender Sean Hessey receive a five-match ban for biting Stockport's Liam Dickinson in the same year."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/25/brendan-rodgers-fa-luis-suarez-liverpool

He does sort of have a point

After Rio took out Torres from behind they asked Rio back to the National team no suspension. If Suarez had done the same thing to an English player their would of been a **** storm for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Rogers statement on the FA inconsistent discipline of players. That includes how refs handle incidents in games as well.

Would Rooney or Gibbs get 10 games for biting someone?

Or just for laughs what would Becks get for biting Rooney? :cross:

I don't think it's so much about the nationality of the players, but their reputations. English players will get treated more harshly if they aleady have a bad rep, but latin players come with that generic tag of divers, biters or whatever.

Either way, it's certainly wrong to judge the player and not the foul. The refs are taking the easy way out, as are the FA

I don't think it's so much about the nationality of the players, but their reputations. English players will get treated more harshly if they aleady have a bad rep, but latin players come with that generic tag of divers, biters or whatever.

Either way, it's certainly wrong to judge the player and not the foul. The refs are taking the easy way out, as are the FA

Suarez had a rep well before coming to England. Remember this is the guy who was so proud of his Handball foul against Ghana.

Well, if you're judging the player based on nationality, where they've played, something like that, sure. But past behavior is fair game, imo. That is, a player with no history of violence getting a more lenient punishment for the same foul as a player with a record is not, to me, problematic, even though it's different punishment for the same foul.

When it comes to diving I think it's far to judge the player for past behavior. If someone has a history of diving in the box it should make the official think twice before giving the penalty.

I don't think Ashley Young has gotten pk this year after all the diving last year.

against his former team for the 1-0 win

that's 3 points right their

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes that dive so great is it was against a team he played 4 years for. Pure Class

Cristiano Ronaldo by volume is the greatest diver of all time

Well, it is soccer we're talking about, I mean to use a similar example, while still playing together on Man U, Ronaldo was lobbying to get a card for Rooney in international play (don't remember if it was WC or not) These guys really don't care about allegiances.

Wow, I thought Barca would put up a fight... as it stand nows though they are down 7-0 on agg...

What a brutal beat down.
Glad this wasnt the final, but still something you don't expect in a semi.

Definitely not in a semi, and not from Barcelona at the Nou Camp. I doubted they were going to win the tie what with the fact that the fortress Nou could only bail them out so many times but heck. Bayern looked like the club chasing the tie rather than the one sitting on a mountain of goals. They were absolutely ruthless in wanting to kill Barcelona off completely.

I'd like to see BvB win it all just because of the way they put that team together but Bayern seem insurmountable at the moment.

Just further proves why Messi is the greatest. Barca's attack has no teeth without him.

He was pretty irrelevant when he played in the first leg.

I would agree though that when you take him out of their attack you don't really know where the goals are going to come from.

I would agree though that when you take him out of their attack you don't really know where the goals are going to come from.

Indeed. The question, of course, is whether that was a full strength Messi (or close enough to full strength). If he was significantly hindered by his hamstring (i think that was his injury) then even the first leg is evidence of how important he is.

I thought Bayern deserved credit for how they consistently forced Barca out to the sides as opposed to letting them work through the middle.

If he was already carrying the knock in the first leg then that would explain it.

I wonder what the fall out at Barca will be after crashing out of the CL so spectacularly.

BeIN is reporting that he was not injured but was intentionally withheld to preserve him - sounds like they were conceding the game before it started.

Personally - I think the team suffered with coaching this season. Pep leaving was bad enough, but then the Tito illness saga left them with what has been the third in line coach for much I the season. Scary to think of Bayern with Pep next season

He did look pretty horrible in that 1st game compared to how he normally plays.

Klinsmann going to give Holden a shot at making Gold Cup squad, super excited

LINK

US needs a creative Mid and Holden may just be the type, whether he's paired with Bradley in the middle or playing out wide we need someone with a creative spark to generate chances. Now if only Donovan can stop being a baby and just play his way back we could have a formidible squad for the Gold Cup/Qualifiers/etc.

GK - Howard
RB - Cherundolo
CB - Goodson/Cameron/Gonzalez/Bocanegra (if he gets back in form)
LB - Johnson/Chandler (i'd give it to Johnson)
RM - Donovan
CM - Bradley and Jones
LM - Holden
CF - Dempsey
ST - Altidore

That's a pretty solid side overall. And if Landon keeps crying you can slide Holden over and let Zusi, Gomez, Shea, etc. fight for the other spot.

So stoked Holden is back! Man, that was a long recovery for him.

Here's what I'd like to see:

GK - Howard
RB - Cherundolo
CBs - Gonzalez and Besler (seriously they were a perfect pair against Mexico)
LB - Bornstein
RM - Zusi (he's improved every single US match)
LM - Holden or Brad Davis
CMs - Bradley and Jones
CF/SS - Dempsey
ST/TF - Gomez

GK - Howard
RB - Cherundolo
LB - Bornstein
CMs - Bradley and Jones
CF/SS - Dempsey
ST/TF - Gomez

You'd like to see that for what? Some specific set of qualifiers, or just as your general dream lineup? Or just a lineup you're curious about?

Holden has to demonstrate he really is the player he was before sniffs qualifying start. And seeing Borstein on any list makes me cry.

You'd like to see that for what? Some specific set of qualifiers, or just as your general dream lineup? Or just a lineup you're curious about?

Holden has to demonstrate he really is the player he was before sniffs qualifying start. And seeing Borstein on any list makes me cry.
It's a lineup I'd like to see in the upcoming qualifiers.

And come on, no love for the Hebrew Hammer? :D

GK - Howard
RB - Cherundolo
LB - Bornstein
CMs - Bradley and Jones
CF/SS - Dempsey
ST/TF - Gomez

I won't argue semantics of certain things, but Bornstein? Seriously BOrnstein? I saw enough of that turd under Bradley to last a lifetime. Unless he's learned how to defend in the last 2 years I never want him to even be on the bench. Johnson has been leagues better both in defensive capabilities and with offensive as well.

I hope you're trolling and not suggesting we start a guy with only 10 caps in the last 3 seasons in the freaking Mexican league compared to guys with over 50 caps in the same time in the Bundesliga.

It's a lineup I'd like to see in the upcoming qualifiers.

And come on, no love for the Hebrew Hammer? :D

Well you're not going to see it in the next set of qualifiers. Klinsmann has been clear he's not overlapping qualifier starters and gold cup roster, so Holden is clearly not in his plans as a key contributor for the June qualifiers.

Bornstein is terrible. And he's played 2 games for his club between last season and this. So no, no love for him. I don't think I'll ever get over watching him get destroyed in the gold cup 2011 final.

Well you're not going to see it in the next set of qualifiers. Klinsmann has been clear he's not overlapping qualifier starters and gold cup roster, so Holden is clearly not in his plans as a key contributor for the June qualifiers.

Bornstein is terrible. And he's played 2 games for his club between last season and this. So no, no love for him. I don't think I'll ever get over watching him get destroyed in the gold cup 2011 final.

Holden is ready to play now. He's fully recovered from reports I've ready. He's probably a little rusty but I think a Rusty Holden should be a boost to our midfield play, considering Landycakes seems intent on crying about not being treated like a prince.

Holden is ready to play now. He's fully recovered from reports I've ready. He's probably a little rusty but I think a Rusty Holden should be a boost to our midfield play, considering Landycakes seems intent on crying about not being treated like a prince.

ready to play and ready to play well are not the same. He needs to prove he is the latter.

What, exactly, has Landon said or done that you consider "crying about not being treated like a prince"?

ready to play and ready to play well are not the same. He needs to prove he is the latter.

What, exactly, has Landon said or done that you consider "crying about not being treated like a prince"?

Just read some of the crap that has been said between Klinsmann and himself. While maybe not as extreme as I made it, he's clearly got some issue with Klinsmann, and I think Klinsmann is 100% right on the attitude about soccer in America, that too many (not all mind you, Dempsey and Howard are perfect examples to the negative) are just content to play professionally. Like getting to MLS or just getting to Europe is a big enough goal. And I think you can see it in many of the players that Klinsmann has picked that they fit his personal goals. Not having the ability to keep moving up and not having the drive are 2 different things. Landon does leave a lot of doubts cause you have to wonder if he could be better since he plays pretty easy competition regularly. I know watching Dempsey he's gotten much better since going to the premier league.

Just read some of the crap that has been said between Klinsmann and himself. While maybe not as extreme as I made it, he's clearly got some issue with Klinsmann, and I think Klinsmann is 100% right on the attitude about soccer in America, that too many (not all mind you, Dempsey and Howard are perfect examples to the negative) are just content to play professionally. Like getting to MLS or just getting to Europe is a big enough goal. And I think you can see it in many of the players that Klinsmann has picked that they fit his personal goals. Not having the ability to keep moving up and not having the drive are 2 different things. Landon does leave a lot of doubts cause you have to wonder if he could be better since he plays pretty easy competition regularly. I know watching Dempsey he's gotten much better since going to the premier league.

Ok, what "crap" that says he thinks he deserves special treatment, then? If you're gonna claim it, show it. I've ready plenty, and while I agree there is evidence that he and klinsmann are not always in the exact same page, I've seen nothing indicating a desire for special treatment. I'd love to see what you're basing this on, in all seriousness. I'm happy to change my stance if there's actual evidence.

As for players being content, all players have different goals, personalities, etc, and it's fine to have preferences. Barry Sanders retired near the peak of guys career. Different things drive different people, and demanding that everyone be driven I've the same way is a recipe for artificially limiting your options. That said, there is zero denying that Donovan has done as much on the field for us soccer as almost anyone. If you want to discredit him because you think he should have brought even more, fine. But it's pretty easy to volunteer that someone else should have worked harder, isn't it? Bottom line, if Donovan does get back to close to the form he has displayed in the past, he will absolutely be one of the top five players available in the US pool. And the fact that he maybe could have been better will mean zero as far as his standing relative to the people he is competing against, because even "could have been better" Donovan will be better than the alternatives.

Oh I'm not saying that Donovan shouldn't play. I want him to play, really bad. I just have my doubts that he'll swallow his pride and buy into Klinsmann's plan.

Oh I'm not saying that Donovan shouldn't play. I want him to play, really bad. I just have my doubts that he'll swallow his pride and buy into Klinsmann's plan.

What do you think klinsmann is asking for that Donovan is too proud to do?

Imo, if Donovan doesn't play again because of someone's pride, it's not gonna be his that's the issue. :p

I don't think Donovan wants to invest in the time that Klinsmann wants him to invest. Klinsmann comes from a culture where the players eat, sleep and breathe soccer, and I don't think Landon wants to do that.

Back