Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that sounds like the MA I know.

Here's a little snippet from a GOAL doccument regarding residential license to Carry.

"Because the law does not forbid the licensing authority from asking for extra items, applicants in some towns are asked to provide any of the following items: utility bills to prove residency, birth certificate to prove citizen-ship, letters of reference, a note from a doctor, or a letter documenting the reason for the License application. "

So it seems they can probably find a way to deny you pretty easily if they decide they just don't like you. Of course this can be appealed, but it seems like the spirit of laws like this is to discourage applicants. I'm sure that many just give up after spending all the time and $200 just for the privilege of applying.
It's $100 for the application, $100 for the required 4 hr. safety course, and they may also charge you seperately for fingerprints and photographing.

There are several classes of license. The most basic only applies to pepper spray. The next level of FID card allows you to purchase and posess ammo and non high capacity shotguns and rifles, no Handguns. Class B carry allows you to purchase/own rifles shotguns and non high cap handguns. You may also transport, but must be unloaded and locked away. Class A, I imagine is probably for LEO's only. It allows high cap guns and loaded transport.

While I was still a MassHole, I had a Class A... :D The town I lived in wasn't that bad to get the licenses. I'm just glad I'll never need to go through all that crap again.

I'll have to check, but I believe Maine is in line with NH as far as licenses go. Not as educated as VT. With all the granola crunchers in VT, the rest of the people almost NEED to be armed at all times. :eek:

Let's see if I can show you guys a picture,

Not the gun from the brass and leather case, different one. At the bottom of the pic I thought for a sec those were the brass keys, but they are fake brass, not like real brass keys with perfectly rounded top piece, that's what I have my eye out for.

It is without question a Ruger Old Army .44 These are very accurate, reliable when properly cleaned and very strong. A stainless steel version was also made.

It is without question a Ruger Old Army .44 These are very accurate, reliable when properly cleaned and very strong. A stainless steel version was also made.

Thanks! Yep, made in 1979! One mystery down, more to go...

You might be able to hunt deer with it. I think some states allow turkey hunting with a handgun as well.

Check your local laws first. Especially since that's a blackpowder handgun.

A buddy gave me a Navy black powder .44 revolver. It was froze solid full of years worth of neglect gunk. It has ships engraved on the cylinder. I soaked, disassembled, scrubbed (like hell), oiled and reassembled it. Gonna try and get some loads/ ammo for it and take it to the range. Wondering whether I should have a gunsmith check it out first.

image-372858405.jpg

Check your local laws first. Especially since that's a blackpowder handgun.

Ah, we actually have a special season just for that in Florida...

I have one more question, also related to guns, I'm sitting on 350 acres and thinking about leasing space for hunters. Already checked into the legality of it and all the proper forms, even got a release form already typed up and sent to the lawyer. For $800-$1000 a year, how much space would you expect? And how many others, if any, would you expect to have to share it with? Like, you'd only have certain days. There's a good 80-100 acres heavily wooded and teeming with wildlife. I'd actually have to put a limit on what they could kill and take with them, and of course there are limits anyway, you know, the laws, but my own limits too. We plant to attract them. Granddad kinda went from hunting them to protecting them and feeding them. Got to be a softy towards the end there. Thanks for all your help.

Make sure you have either enough distance, or something physical between the hunting grounds and any residences. The last thing you need is someone's house getting a bullet hole in it from a hunter you let onto your land. If there's no one within that range of where the space will be, I think you'll just need to properly mark it so that there's no confusion as to where the 'hunting area' is. Maybe map it out and get GPS coordinates and require the hunters have GPS units (accurate ones) so they do not stray.

between the hunting grounds and any residences.

We are in the middle of the national forest, so there aren't any. We'd just have to contact the state, if case they happen to want to burn their areas around us, let them know hunters will be nearby, or not let people hunt at those times.

Love the idea about GPS. Property is marked off and post-it notes everywhere.

A buddy gave me a Navy black powder .44 revolver. It was froze solid full of years worth of neglect gunk. It has ships engraved on the cylinder. I soaked, disassembled, scrubbed (like hell), oiled and reassembled it. Gonna try and get some loads/ ammo for it and take it to the range. Wondering whether I should have a gunsmith check it out first.

Residue from black powder shooting is corrosive. There is a good chance that the barrel, cylinders and every part that was exposed can be slightly or seriously corroded.

I would be careful shooting it because some of the tolerances may be off. For one, the gap between the cylinder and the barrel (cylinder gap) if it is corroded it may be greater than spec. and will blast a ton of flame, smoke and buring powder out the side.

Better safe than sorry.

bosco

We are in the middle of the national forest, so there aren't any. We'd just have to contact the state, if case they happen to want to burn their areas around us, let them know hunters will be nearby, or not let people hunt at those times.

Love the idea about GPS. Property is marked off and post-it notes everywhere.

Yeah, because we all KNOW how well 'post-it notes' hold up [outside] in FL. :drunk: I give them a day, two tops, during the 'rainy-season'... More like powder-coated plates nailed (or otherwise secured) to trees. :D

More like powder-coated plates nailed (or otherwise secured) to trees.

I didn't literally mean post-it notes, not those little paper yellow things! Metal signs adhered to trees, up high enough that people can not easily remove them, LOL. Post-it notes... wrong term! LOL

I have one more question, also related to guns, I'm sitting on 350 acres and thinking about leasing space for hunters. Already checked into the legality of it and all the proper forms, even got a release form already typed up and sent to the lawyer. For $800-$1000 a year, how much space would you expect? And how many others, if any, would you expect to have to share it with? Like, you'd only have certain days. There's a good 80-100 acres heavily wooded and teeming with wildlife. I'd actually have to put a limit on what they could kill and take with them, and of course there are limits anyway, you know, the laws, but my own limits too. We plant to attract them. Granddad kinda went from hunting them to protecting them and feeding them. Got to be a softy towards the end there. Thanks for all your help.

I lived on 350-400 acres of truly isolated forest back a few years ago and would let only small groups of about 5 on at a time.

The land was very heavily wooded so stalking or driving was not done. It was more like find a spot along a creek or overgrown logging road and sit it out. All hunters knew where the others were and knew the rules of hunting.

This was rifle country so I kept the number of hunters lower than if it was in a shotgun only area. Still the more you have and the dumber they are (which is hard to tell if dealing with strangers) the more problems you are exposing yourself to.

bosco

"If you can read this you have five second to leave before the large bullet rips through your chest"

Yeah, that's what I meant by "post-it note".

Thanks Bosco, yeah, I see what you are saying, would have to really get to know them first.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "post-it note".

Thanks Bosco, yeah, I see what you are saying, would have to really get to know them first.

You might need to dumb it down a bit for the average hunter in FL though. :eek: Not saying that they all are dumber than a bag of hammers, just enough of them. :D

You might need to dumb it down a bit for the average hunter in FL though

Or weed out the dummies, several guys have asked about leasing the land for hunting, but only one guy and his 2 sons that so far I'd trust. They want to know how much, willing to pay about a grand a year and want to know what they will get for that.

Thought I would show one of my prides that I built. Ruger 10/22. Only thing stock is receiver skin

image-4275726495.jpg

Thought I would show one of my prides that I built. Ruger 10/22. Only thing stock is receiver skin

Sleek and interesting looking gun. Impressed you built it.

I wouldn't lease it if you want to hunt it. I think you'd just be asking for trouble. I find it's best to keep your hunting spots to yourself.

If Florida has a purple paint law it would be easy to mark boundaries.

boscobeans said:
Residue from black powder shooting is corrosive. There is a good chance that the barrel, cylinders and every part that was exposed can be slightly or seriously corroded.

I would be careful shooting it because some of the tolerances may be off. For one, the gap between the cylinder and the barrel (cylinder gap) if it is corroded it may be greater than spec. and will blast a ton of flame, smoke and buring powder out the side.

bosco
Yeah I was thinking the cylinder gap was quiet large anyway. But I've never fired one of these so it's probably no too far off.

boscobeans said:
Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for confirming that. My thoughts also. Ill get it checked first. I'd rather not have flaming slag shooting out towards any part of my body.

Yeah I was thinking the cylinder gap was quiet large anyway. But I've never fired one of these so it's probably no too far off.

Thanks for confirming that. My thoughts also. Ill get it checked first. I'd rather not have flaming slag shooting out towards any part of my body.

A lot of those OPEN tops were set up (factory new) with a gap around .002 and would loosen up quickly. I think anything in the area of .009 would be OK but when it gets wider than that you are losing a lot of pressure, accuracy and the gases would start to flame cut the forcing cone.

Anything less than .002 (that's even tight) would foul up easily and need to be cleaned frequently.

OMO

bosco

I think you'd just be asking for trouble. I find it's best to keep your hunting spots to yourself.

Yeah, probably so, some other family members said the same thing, about asking for trouble. Just been strapped for actual cash with 2 kids in college, going over some things I could do. Earlier this year, we had some bad rain from a hurricane, wiped out all the crops, well, except the lumber and fruit trees that mostly were left standing(without their fruit).

Yeah, probably so, some other family members said the same thing, about asking for trouble. Just been strapped for actual cash with 2 kids in college, going over some things I could do. Earlier this year, we had some bad rain from a hurricane, wiped out all the crops, well, except the lumber and fruit trees that mostly were left standing(without their fruit).

Yeah it was a bad year for farmers in IL too. But hang in there!

I hunt a lot on public land but I also hunt my grandparent's farm and we keep it family only on my grandparents place. They still have trouble with the yahoos down there sometimes. Sometimes we invite people to come and hunt but it's on the good old boy system.

If you shoot a big buck sneak it out of there and don't tell anyone where you shot it.

Maybe look @ buying a beater truck and park it out there. Just take it to town sometimes.

boscobeans said:
A lot of those OPEN tops were set up (factory new) with a gap around .002 and would loosen up quickly. I think anything in the area of .009 would be OK but when it gets wider than that you are losing a lot of pressure, accuracy and the gases would start to flame cut the forcing cone.

Anything less than .002 (that's even tight) would foul up easily and need to be cleaned frequently.

OMO

bosco

Just checked and the cylinder gap varies from cylinder to cylinder. Most are at .008 but one as much as .012 at top and .004 at bottom near center. Do you foresee a problem with the alignment?

Just checked and the cylinder gap varies from cylinder to cylinder. Most are at .008 but one as much as .012 at top and .004 at bottom near center. Do you foresee a problem with the alignment?

The gaps would work but if the cylinder is out of line I would have a gunsmith check it out. The cylinder may need to be ground FLAT AND TRUE. Then shimmed which would give you a more constant gap for each chamber.

Remember these guns were used and used frequently. I am sure they were used with gaps all over the place but if you want to have a good shooter it makes sense to at least have it checked out.

The smith should check cylinder play and lockup, alignment to the forcing cone, condition of the nipples and general wear and tear on all the parts.

bosco

Better safe than sorry.

bosco

I agree, the timing could be off as well. This is a replica Colt Army .44, the Navy model designation is .36 traditionally speaking. The brass frame is obviously not as strong as a steel frame and are preferably used only on the .36 Navy due to lighter load potential. The .44's have the cylinder capacity for quite heavy loads.

If this handgun does check out keep the loads very light, or not at all. Heavy loads are only for steel framed models, it always was this way. Top strap models are much stronger with the previously pictured modern made Ruger Old Army .44 being the strongest of all cap and ball revolvers ever made.

krackin said:
I agree, the timing could be off as well. This is a replica Colt Army .44, the Navy model designation is .36 traditionally speaking. The brass frame is obviously not as strong as a steel frame and are preferably used only on the .36 Navy due to lighter load potential. The .44's have the cylinder capacity for quite heavy loads.

If this handgun does check out keep the loads very light, or not at all. Heavy loads are only for steel framed models, it always was this way. Top strap models are much stronger with the previously pictured modern made Ruger Old Army .44 being the strongest of all cap and ball revolvers ever made.

Thanks for the info guys.

Loaded up my full size mags (left the 10 rounders empty) with hollow-points [tonight] JUST in case the Mayan's got it right. :eek: :D

I would have loaded the 10's too, just to be safe...buuuuuuuuut we won't know how that would have worked out, will we?

I would have loaded the 10's too, just to be safe...buuuuuuuuut we won't know how that would have worked out, will we?

I used to use the 10 round mags to chamber a round when shooting competitions. Once that was done, I'd put it into my back pocket (no need to take up a full size mag slot). :D IF I needed more than 6 mags holding 14-15 rounds each, there would have been something serious going on. :eek: Over 85 (hollow-point and FCJ) rounds would take care of a good amount of things. :D

To the OP, I bought my first gun a few months ago which was a ruger sr40c and its a great pistol. Fun as hell to shoot!

Grizz said:
Just waiting on some ammo to arrive for my 338 lapua!!!

Cool. That's the same round as the longest sniper kill record used right? Something like 2800 yrds I think?

Back