First time kegging today with one problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radek

Reaction score
Finally started kegging beer today - two batches with my dual logic system. All went well except for one problem - I completely forgot to sanatize the beer line for the second keg... Don't know how I overlooked it, considering I did it with the first one. Live and learn, but now my question/problem is how do I go about sanatizing it now, with the beer already connected to the the CO2 tank?

Any suggestion, or known methods?

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Whats done is done. Shouldn't be much in your beer that the nasties will like anyway.
They sure won't like the abundance alcohol, lack of oxygen, lack of easy to digest food, and the current population of yeasties floating around.

But if you insist; pop the QD off the post and soak in it all in your sanitatizer of choice.
Helps to have an extra keg lying around full of pressurized star san to push through the lines for a quick sanitized rinse.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Whats done is done. Shouldn't be much in your beer that the nasties will like anyway.
They sure won't like the abundance alcohol, lack of oxygen, lack of easy to digest food, and the current population of yeasties floating around.

But if you insist; pop the QD off the post and soak in it all in your sanitatizer of choice.
Helps to have an extra keg lying around full of pressurized star san to push through the lines for a quick sanitized rinse.

Yeah an additional keg came to mind - not sure I'll do it just yet, considering how much I've already spent recently with the keg system itself, but that probably would be my best option if I decide to let this bother me that much (not to mention additional kegs will be needed anyway over time).

I suppose I'll just let it go as you're probably right with regard to anything causing a real problem in the line.

Thanks for the reply.

After kegging a beer I only hook it up to co2. It doesn't go to the beer lines until it's fully carb'ed. And I've done this same thing a few times. Run a pint or two through it, you'll be just fine!*

*sanitizing is key in all parts of brewing, you'll never forget to sanitize a line again. Or you'll forget and pay for it later with ruined homebrew.

Back