First Kegging - This sound good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
So I just got my keg system set up. I have a batch of Belgian Wit going into a 5 gal corny. I saw a lot of different tutorials and techniques. I have company coming over on Thursday and just wanted to make sure I did this correctly.

I chilled the fermenter down to 45 degrees in my brew fridge...it sat for 2 days after achieving that temp. Today I sanitized keg, purged the air with CO2 and racked to the keg. I then sealed the lid and used a CO2, temp, pressure table to carbonate to 2.9, and it gave me a pressure of 19psi. I pressurized keg to 19, and shook for 90 seconds, let sit for 10 minutes, then shook for another 90 seconds and turned off gas and disconnected...plan to let sit for 2 days then check level....

Everything sound correct? any suggestions to make sure my guests will have beer that is ready on thursday?

Craig

At 19 PSI it will probably take closer to a week to carbonate. And I wouldn't shake it anymore. Just let it sit there with the gas connected still and it will get up where you want it.

Don't disconect the gas. If you want to force carb faster you can dial it up to 30psi or so and let it sit for 24-36 hrs then dial it down to serving pressure.

Don't disconect the gas. If you want to force carb faster you can dial it up to 30psi or so and let it sit for 24-36 hrs then dial it down to serving pressure.

Ok, just set it to 30...doing it this way is there a way to try and hit a 2.9 or so volumes?

Maybe not at first but it should eventualy equalize.

Not sure I understand. I have it at 30psi to force carbonate for 24-36 hrs....charts say 19psi for volumes desired(2.9)...and isn't serving psi around 10 or do I leave it at 19 and let it equalize there after time at 30psi?

Leave it at 19. You can serve at 10 but (in theory) you will eventualy lose some carbonation.

This is how I understand things at least. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Back