Used the wrong kind of tubing for hot siphon. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben25

Reaction score
So I made a batch today and used my new counterflow wort chiller. The only problem was that I used this tubing, which as I know now is rated at 140 F. The end that was in the wort was very soft and almost a little sticky on the outside, but it held together ok.

Any thoughts?

website&

Also, what kind of tubing does everyone else use for this?

Anyone? Even a simple RDWHAHB will do. I'm just kinda worried about it, as there was also a small amount of what looked like oil on the surface of the wort in the fermenter.

Anyone? Even a simple RDWHAHB will do. I'm just kinda worried about it, as there was also a small amount of what looked like oil on the surface of the wort in the fermenter.

A couple of hours on Father's day and you are looking for instant gratification?
Definately RDWHAHB.
There is nothing you can do now anyway. Ferment it out and see how it is. At the absolute most, you will get a slight off taste from the tubing. Probably nothing.
Silicone tubing is popular for the hot transfers, but make sure you get the thick wall stuff (about $2.20-$3 a foot). I got the thin wall stuff for less, and had to carefully keep it from kinking everywhere.

I use 5/16" ID x 7/16" OD silicone tubing, which is the thin walled stuff, and have no significant problems with kinking - though I am not trying to do anything like siphoning with it, I have valves with hose nipples on the MLT and brew kettle so there's no tight bends in the hose which would cause it to kink.

I imagine that the thick-walled stuff is truly necessary for the much bigger 1/2" ID tubing.

I'll definitely have to get some silicone tubing. Oh well, I'll taste it in a couple weeks and see how it tastes.

I tasted it today, and while it is not nearly done, (gravity at 1.032) it tastes VERY good, with no off or plastic flavors. And now I can actually RDWHAHB because my first batch it done!!!

Back