A really dumb question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrean

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle, and I'm a little paranoid.

I got to thinking--- if I leave the trub behind when I x-fer the beer into my bucket w/ priming sugar, where does the yeast reside?

Is there yeast suspended in the beer, so that when I x-fer ONLY the beer and leave the gunk on the bottom behind, there will be a reaction with the priming sugar?

thanks

madrean said:
I'm getting ready to bottle, and I'm a little paranoid.

I got to thinking--- if I leave the trub behind when I x-fer the beer into my bucket w/ priming sugar, where does the yeast reside?

Is there yeast suspended in the beer, so that when I x-fer ONLY the beer and leave the gunk on the bottom behind, there will be a reaction with the priming sugar?

thanks

Indeed... even though you see that big ole cake at the bottom of your fermenter, there's still plenty of little swimmers... err yeasties... in suspension to carbonate your brew.

Drink up!

You got it. Leave as much gunk behind as humanly possible. The yeast (some of it) is suspended in your beer and will more than do the job of carbonating off of your priming sugar.

My procedure is to boil the priming sugar in a cup or two of water, dump that into my bottling bucket (it will cool really fast), then siphon the beer into the bottling bucket being careful not to splash. Give it a gentle stir (not splashing) and bottle.

:drunk: :cross: :drunk: You guys have a sick mind, I LIKE IT!! Of course I have had a few brews too.
Back to the post, leave all that vegimite in the bottom its great on toast(yummy) Keep asking questions thats how you learn, and these guys are filled with info, guess its better than being filled with lil swimmers.

I have to admit I am a sucker anytime a thread includes the words "dumb question", they are always the first ones I read. They remind my why I found the brewing process so interesting.

PT Ray said:
I have to admit I am a sucker anytime a thread includes the words "dumb question", they are always the first ones I read. They remind my why I found the brewing process so interesting.

yeah, i knew that would get yall's attention :cross:

i've had a second batch going and i transferred it to the secondary, and oh my god! it was soooo beautiful to look at. it had been in a pale for over a week so i couldn't see how wonderful it was!!

thanks for the help guys

madrean said:
yeah, i knew that would get yall's attention :cross:

and oh my god! it was soooo beautiful to look at.

just wanted to let yall know my wife is here next to me as i type....

madrean said:
yeah, i knew that would get yall's attention :cross

Everyone gets one "dumb question", anymore you are just being a hustler. However, they are transferable from one member to another. I will trade you mine for the right price.

homebrewer_99 said:
I was in Austin yesterday...why weren't you at the pub? :drunk:

sheesh. a GTG and i didn't know about it??

when are you next coming to Austin?

Back