25% Base Malt Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafCutter

Reaction score
Maybe there is already a name for this... but I'm just curious... what everyone thinks...

25% 2row
25% Maris
25% Vienna
25% Munich

I've done SMaSH beers (actually love Vienna/Saaz combo), but what will be the results of this? The only thing I would want to add would be some crystal... but then it wouldn't be 25%... Thoughts???

Eh. It's not going to be particularly exciting. Since the Munich is the highest kilned of the four, it is going to contribute the most to the flavor. You will basically end up with a base that's much more malty than 2-row, but much less malty than Munich, so like a watered-down Munich flavor.

This is kinda like mixing together four different brands of cola. The end result is just....cola.

Base malts aren't very exciting in their contributions to the beer beyond their efficiently converted starches. You need to experiment more with specialty malts if you want interesting contributions to your final brew.

With Munich especially, but also MO and Vienna; you shouldn't need to use any crystal. If you're concerned about it being malty enough, you could replace the 2-row with some combination of the others or use Dark Munich (10L) instead of light (5.5L). Your level of maltiness is also heavily dependent on the gravity. An all 2-row 1.100 barleywine will be much maltier than an all Vienna blonde at 1.040.

Back