Best wine making starter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancedoze

Reaction score
I'm looking into wine making and need some help. Where to buy a starter kit? I want everything I need to make a 6 gal. batch of wine. Please help.

Find a home brew store. Some cater to beer, wine, cheese, but all should carry a starter kits that contain a bucket, carboy, brushes, a book, hoses, racking canes, ect.

I started out making kit wines, they are pretty easy when you follow the instructions. Yes, follow the instructions!!

This forum is a good source, also check out Jack Keller's wine making website.

If you do not have a local home brew shop in your area and have to rely upon online store take a look at a section on this forum called "Vendor Showcase", then "Vendor List". I encourage you to look at a few sites before you buy just so you can get a good comparison. Plus if you find a better offer for the exact same item (same manufacturer, item#,etc) many vendors will price match if you talk to them. If you plan on making a kit wine, several sites offer an equipment combo with a choice of a kit, usually with a discount for 2nd kit and/or "add-ons" to the equipment kit. If in doubt, or to ensure you have all the basic necessities to get you successfully thru your batch, call the vendor and talk to them, or many have online chat--they tend to be brutally honest, at least the vendors I worked with were and I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences. And I do have a "favorite" online shop...you will too.

When I started out I was not sure if I would have the patience, so I bought just a one gallon starter kit for fruit wines (since I did not want to make a kit wine). I quickly upgraded and have an assortment of 1 gallon jugs, 3 gallon, 5 gallon and 6 gallon. Anything larger it too hard for me to work with.

If I could say just a few things about taking this step:
1. Make sure you have an inventory list, and that you have all additives and essential equipment on hand before you start your wine. (If making a wine kit, they typically provide every additive you need EXCEPT cleaning/sanitizing substances). The equipment starter kits do not always have everything--make sure you have TWO hydrometers, triple scale is fine but if you continue in your winemaking eventually invest in a +5/-5 hydrometer.
2. If using a kit wine do not expect to consume this wine within a few weeks, the exception the "mist style kits" (ie a 6 week wine kit means it takes about 6 weeks before you can proceed to bulk age or bottle/age). Many think since it says "4-week, 6-week that is all it takes before ready to drink, not so).
3. Making a wine from a kit and making a wine from scratch are completely different. A kit wine is like baking a cake from cake mix, while a wine from the actual fruit is a bit more labor intensive and you are responsible for each and every item going into that wine.
4. Try to find and join a local amateur group in your area.
5. Most importantly, make sure you understand the terminology and that you have a general concept comprehension about the steps because if you go into this blind you may not be happy. "Forget about it" will be one of the hardest things to do, for a while.

Welcome to the winemaking world---loads of fun!!:)

Back