New hurricane burner questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewdog50

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 low pressure hurricane burners along with the recomended oriface and low pressure regulator from williams brewing for the single tier stand I am currently building. I now have the burners mounted and did a test run to check my boil time with 12.5 gallons of water and averaged 70 minutes to boil. this is from 50 degree tap water to boiling. I am a little concerned as my boil was not very vigorous and I have to have my adjustment shutter wide open to get a correct flame. I am coming from a high pressure turkey burner and my boils seemed much more vigorous.

My distance from the top of the burner to the bottom of the keggle is approximately 4.5 inches. Fully open, my flames are about 2 inches in height. This test was done under calm conditions. I guess I'm asking are my results normal?

I recently purchased 2 low pressure hurricane burners along with the recomended oriface and low pressure regulator from williams brewing for the single tier stand I am currently building. I now have the burners mounted and did a test run to check my boil time with 12.5 gallons of water and averaged 70 minutes to boil. this is from 50 degree tap water to boiling. I am a little concerned as my boil was not very vigorous and I have to have my adjustment shutter wide open to get a correct flame. I am coming from a high pressure turkey burner and my boils seemed much more vigorous.

My distance from the top of the burner to the bottom of the keggle is approximately 4.5 inches. Fully open, my flames are about 2 inches in height. This test was done under calm conditions. I guess I'm asking are my results normal?

Did you ever get resolve this? I'm currently deciding between hurricane or banjo burners. I was favoring hurricane, mainly because of the description in the Williams catalogue. I like the low noise and the temp control you're supposed to have with the hurricane (low pressure) but might use something different for my boil kettle if can't produce the heat for a vigorous boil. Thanks.

My boil is vigorous, but not ridiculous. I have had to adjust my boil-off rates in beersmith to compensate for the lower rates. I have put over 100 gallons through this system and my beer has only gotten better. My flames are still not very high using the current regulator, but it does not seem to affect my process that much. I have found that when i run to burners at the same time, i have reduced flames on both burners. I may try to change out the low pressure regulator for one that has a few more psi (maybe1 or 2 psi higher) to see if that makes a difference. I am limited to how high of pressure that i can use because my HLT is controlled through a Honeywell valve for automatic temp control. One thing that is a absolute must for these burners is a good wind screen, with air inlet holes added. I love the fact that I can carry on a normal conversation during brewing with both burners running. If you are running just a single burner at a time the regulator form williams will be fine. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thanks! This is great information. The Lower noise level is a big plus to me. I'm still in the early stages but I might come back to see how the higher pressure regulator works out. Once I get the basic system together I want to add some automation, temp control, etc. I've started reading some of those threads but am a bit over whelmed at this point.

its not as hard as you might think for automated temp control. the threads on here do make it pretty easy. if you need help let me know.

I use one I ordered direct from Hurricane. You want to make sure you have big enough feed pipe to get the gas to the burner. i use no regulator, just the thread in oriface and control valve that came from hurricane. I get tall flames I have to be carefull when the wind blows it will burn the hair on my arms

I may try to change out the low pressure regulator for one that has a few more psi (maybe1 or 2 psi higher) to see if that makes a difference. I am limited to how high of pressure that i can use because my HLT is controlled through a Honeywell valve for automatic temp control.

Have you tried adjusting the output pressure on the honeywell? It's likely reducing the pressure below what the regulator is putting out, in which case increasing the supply pressure won't change anything.

Back