What are these Pests?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForerunnerBrewer

Reaction score
I've seen in some forums mentions of spider mites or something like that that produce a silky substance under the leaf. I'm wondering if one of these two are what people are talking about, neither look or act mutch like a spider.

The first one deftly jumps out of the way once you get too close, you have to kill it from 2 directions. When I spray my insecicidal soap at it, even if I catch it off guard, it seems to jump and I can't figure out if I got it wet or not. I found an egg patch under a leaf that I think belongs to these guys. Here is the only good pict I could take:

Hop%252520Pest1.jpg
IMAG0235.jpg

Next is this the one that most likely fits the profile I have read about. It doesn't make it's silky white fuzz under the leaf/on the underside, but it does make it on the main stalk. It looks more like a tiny cricket covered in white mold and is also jumpy.

Hop%252520Pest%2525202.jpg

Hop%252520Pest%2525203.jpg

One last thing. I didn't have much space for a hopyard, so I built this planter box as a temporary solution until next year when I have more time to plan. I'm wondering if the bar above the box could pose an issue with these pests as it is recommended to trim the leaves above the ground. In otherwords, I don't have a huge issue yet, but does anyone think this would pose much of a problem since there is a "second floor"?
IMAG0261.jpg

Thanks everyone!
-John

Spider mites are called so becaue they weave a web like silky mess under the leaves.
Looks like a leaf hopper but leaf hoppers are easier to identify from a top shot because of the shape of their soon to be wings.

Soap and a good shot of water.

The hops will bust out of the box next year probably.

Leafhoppers for sure, nothing to worry about. They never really cause enough damage to be worth the effort of controlling.

Spider mites are called so because they weave a web like silky mess under the leaves.
I noticed the silky mess on a couple of stems and I saw something sitting in it that looked somewhat similar to a tiny white grasshopper. Could that fit the discription of a spider mite?

Also, would I be able to mix dish soap and water? What would the mix ratio be?

Back