CO2 Regulator Fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I picked up a used Haier Kegerator on Craiglist. The regulator included came with the fitting below. When trying to attach my gas hose with 1/4" ID it is apparent that this thing is way too big. I tried Home Depot for a fitting with a 1/4' barb, but had no luck. Apparently the threaded end of this thing is 5/16" Compression (based on a guide at HD). Where do I look to get the proper fitting?

0e009945.jpg

Typical gas tubing is 5/16", not 1/4" so that is where your problem lies.
The last person was using the typical sizing and you're attempting to use smaller hose.

The best and probably cheapest alternative is just to be 5/16" tubing to replace and use the barb that you have shown in the picture. I assume your regulator has a shut off valve fitting? If not, I'd highly considering purchasing one.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulators/components.shtml

This link will give you several options:

1/4" barb is what you've requested.
5/16" brass shut off valve is the alternate better alternative in my opinion

I just set up my keezer and had the same issue. Use 5/16" CO2 line, boil water, dip the end in the water for 30 seconds, put the 5/16" line on you 1/4" corny barb and seal with a hose clamp.

I was surprised that this is the common method to set up corny kegs but I haven't leaked yet.

Interesting that you say 5/16" is the most common. When purchasing a 3 way distributor from Ausitn Homebrew Suppy I noticed that all barbs on their distributors were for 1/4" ID hose; therefore I went with the 1/4" hose for the entire setup.

Regardless, I now either need to change the input barb on the distributor to 5/16" or the output fitting on the regulator to 1/4".

I just set up my keezer and had the same issue. Use 5/16" CO2 line, boil water, dip the end in the water for 30 seconds, put the 5/16" line on you 1/4" corny barb and seal with a hose clamp.

I was surprised that this is the common method to set up corny kegs but I haven't leaked yet.

Do you actually mean use the 1/4" line with the boiling method you described? Obviously, I wouldn't need to do that to fit 5/16" line over a 1/4" barb.

Do you actually mean use the 1/4" line with the boiling method you described? Obviously, I wouldn't need to do that to fit 5/16" line over a 1/4" barb.

Yes, if you heat the 1/4" hose with hot water, you should be able to slip it over a 5/16" hose tail without many problems. You only need 1/16" expansion.

Yes, if you heat the 1/4" hose with hot water, you should be able to slip it over a 5/16" hose tail without many problems. You only need 1/16" expansion.

I will give it a shot. I found getting my 3/16" liquid lines over the 1/4" fittings to be much easier than getting these air lines over this barb.

Latest posts

Back