Post infection or krausen in seconday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitz808

Reaction score
I am a little confused what is happening with my beer here. I am doing a boundary waters wheat from Midwest with white labs hefe yeast. SG 1.042 current 1.013. Just transfered to secondary on the 9th day and now I have the below occurring. Not real sure if this is an infection or krausen. I am also getting a little activity going on in the airlock. Thoughts?

This is only batch 4 so forgive me if this is a "your beer is fine" thread

Thanks guys

p1000339l.jpg

p1000337w.jpg

Your beer re-krausened. You said it was 1.013 when you racked it? Usually that happens when someone racks it too soon, before it was finished. Perhaps it was stuck and racking kicked the yeast back up. It will be fine, it usually happens when folks rack too soon without taking a hydro reading...but the results will be the same, the beer will be fine.

Before you racked to secondary did your krausen completly fall and was it clear on top? Just wondering if you went straight by the instructions but i think Midwest gives you a window of when to secondary in the instructions? Maybe take a hydro 2-3 days later to see if it dropped before racking next time.

Before you racked to secondary did your krausen completly fall and was it clear on top? Just wondering if you went straight by the instructions but i think Midwest gives you a window of when to secondary in the instructions? Maybe take a hydro 2-3 days later to see if it dropped before racking next time.

It didn't fall completely but went down quite a bit. I was out of town for after day 5 until I racked. Pretty much follow the directions straight from Midwest. Pretty noob thing to do but it does look like I racked too soon.

It didn't fall completely but went down quite a bit. I was out of town for after day 5 until I racked. Pretty much follow the directions straight from Midwest. Pretty noob thing to do but it does look like I racked too soon.

So you only waited 5 days to rack to secondary? :drunk: There's your problem. You should wait at minimum 2 weeks, I usually wait a month or two before even touching my beer.

Tuesday, I racked a porter to secondary after six weeks in primary. I just noticed today that is has a thin krausen layer on top. I kind of freaked at first, but I dont believe it to be an infection.

Back